Solved! 5000$ Gaming laptop

ketsueki

Distinguished
Jan 30, 2008
Price is not an issue with the purchase of this laptop, i travel a lot for work and am never home long enough to even consider a desktop computer for more than checking my email. That being said i am looking for a laptop around $5000.

The only laptop i was able to find so far online with a i7 2960XM and the sli 580m was the alienware m18x.

If anyone has any alternatives or suggestions i am all ears. I thought would post up on here and get everyones options and opinions on this before i pull the trigger...

Any and all input welcome! :)

Solution

To be more clear, I meant that Alienware MX18 is the only renown brand which has sandy bridge cpu + dual 580M currently. But the desktop sandy bridge e series processors based on X79 chipset have 'already' hit the market. Since these processors are a 'refresh' of X58 chipset processors which were widely seen in dual GPU extreme laptops, it is imperative that most of these laptops will get upgraded to the latest X79 chipset with core i7-3960X processor...

perfectblue

Distinguished
Oct 25, 2011
What do you want to use the laptop for? Work or game only?
For that kind of price range, hard to beat a mx18 though. There are only a few who offer sandy bridge CPU + dual GPU configs. Malibal Veda offers dual 6990M for around 4K.

Many offer dual 580M with Intel i7-960/970/990X which is the previous generation desktop performance CPUs. Given that this enthusiast generation CPUs based on X58 chipset has arrived to desktop already, it wouldn't take long till it gets ported into laptops. Brands like Eurocom, SAGER, etc make these kind of configs.

Alienware looks like the safe bet for sandy bridge + dual 580M at the moment. If you are lucky and the desktop enthusiast series i7-3960X gets ported into laptop, go for it!

ketsueki

Distinguished
Jan 30, 2008
Its main purpose is for gaming, i have a separate laptop for work. I notice the x58 based laptops but i am not interested in vesting 5k in 4 year old technology. The two most important things i am looking for are a sandy bridge based cpu and specifically SLI 580m.

perfectblue

Distinguished
Oct 25, 2011

To be more clear, I meant that Alienware MX18 is the only renown brand which has sandy bridge cpu + dual 580M currently. But the desktop sandy bridge e series processors based on X79 chipset have 'already' hit the market. Since these processors are a 'refresh' of X58 chipset processors which were widely seen in dual GPU extreme laptops, it is imperative that most of these laptops will get upgraded to the latest X79 chipset with core i7-3960X processor fairly soon.

If you buy today the choice is only an MX18. If you buy any other in in the near future (within a month perhaps) you might get a second choice in the form of i7-3960X processor + dual 580M from many vendors.

Good luck!

Solution