5th gen i5 vs 4th gen i7

Status
Not open for further replies.

7seconds

Estimable
Jul 18, 2015
Hello guys, I just want to ask what is better 5th gen i5 or 4th gen i7 for laptop.

I'll be using it for programming, net surfing, and occasionally gaming.

Thank you.

Solution

GPU = Graphics Processing Unit.

Basically all Intel CPU have integrated GPU (iGPU), there are a few Intel desktop CPU that do not. They are weak compared dedicated graphics; though very low end dedicated graphics is not much better than integrated graphics.

The 4th gen i7 CPU will have the Intel HD 4600 while the 5th gen i5 will have the Intel HD 5500. Both graphics cores will provide similar performance. The Intel HD 5600 performs better than the Intel HD 4600, but it is only offered in the recently released 5th gen quad core i7 CPUs.

Can the above mentioned Intel integrated graphics be used to play games? Mostly yes on low or maybe medium settings at 1366x768 resolition...
Which CPU models are you trying to compare?

Generally speaking, the average processing performance increase from 4th to 5th gen is only about 4%. The Core i7 comes as either dual core ("u" and "m" models) or quad core ("hq", "mq" and "mx"). If you are comparing a dual core i7 to an i5, then the difference is basically the clock speed.

On the graphics side of things, the 5th gen Intel HD 5500 is roughly 15% - 20% more powerful than the 4th gen Intel HD 4400.

Justasxz

Estimable
Jul 8, 2015
well i think this will answer your question i7 1 generation is still faster than 4th generation i5 i think its clear to say that i7 will beat i5 in any possible way

Justasxz

Estimable
Jul 8, 2015
wow 7seconds i think thats troll question gpu is video card its the main thing for gaming and watching high resolution movies because over 1080 without gpu will be laggy as hell

Poll

Estimable
May 29, 2014
A quad core i7 is faster than a dual core i5, not only because it has twice as many cores to process instructions but also has a higher turbo speed.
As previously mentioned, if you are comparing an i7 U variant, it only has 2 cores and runs about as fast as an i5.

Justasxz

Estimable
Jul 8, 2015
Okey the truth is no one needs i7 its just overkill who the heck gonna use 4-8(threads) cores clocked at 3-4 ghz i doubt anything gonna use that many cpu power i have i3 4130(2 cores 2 threads 3.4 ghz) and very high settings i can play gta 5(it maxes cpu usage) and ultra on witcher 3(doesnt even max cpu usage) i5 is best choice by price/performance ratio i7 is more of for bragging rights and i5 is perfect choice for any gamer/worker. A this point of time and probably few years there wont be anything that will need more than i5 wether it would be second or fifth generation my answer is always go for i5. And if you gonna game only sometimes you dont even need i5 go for i3 as i sayd it can run any game decent and for stuff like programming surfing you can even go with pentium xD

rgd1101

Don't

The OP asking about laptop cpu.

Justasxz

Estimable
Jul 8, 2015
yeah i know but nowa days laptop or pc cpus are almost the same just designed diff they still contain the same **** and i7 is never needed for anybody would be laptop or pc

Edited - Watch your language since this forum is open to minors.

GPU = Graphics Processing Unit.

Basically all Intel CPU have integrated GPU (iGPU), there are a few Intel desktop CPU that do not. They are weak compared dedicated graphics; though very low end dedicated graphics is not much better than integrated graphics.

The 4th gen i7 CPU will have the Intel HD 4600 while the 5th gen i5 will have the Intel HD 5500. Both graphics cores will provide similar performance. The Intel HD 5600 performs better than the Intel HD 4600, but it is only offered in the recently released 5th gen quad core i7 CPUs.

Can the above mentioned Intel integrated graphics be used to play games? Mostly yes on low or maybe medium settings at 1366x768 resolition with the exception of graphically intensive games. And you need to keep your expectations low.

Solution
Status
Not open for further replies.