7 Ways the Retina Display Changes How We Use the iPad

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Guide community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

jamsbong

Distinguished
May 7, 2002
All the three iPad products have a been a game changer with breakthroughs leaving the competition well behind. The first iPad for every company (big or small) to copy/mimic their version of tablet. The 2nd iPad doubled the computing performance in both GPU and CPU while maintaining the record battery life. Even today, the Prime is only somewhat matching iPad2's performance (1 year late). iPad3 destroyed the competition again. 4x resolution, double GPU performance, retaining the awesome battery life. The competitions are really gutted this time.

[citation][nom]Halcyon[/nom]After using one of the new iPads tablets with lower resolution displays looks almost disturbingly pixelated.[/citation]
That's what I've been saying since 2010 when the first iPad came out. I used to use a 12" 1400x1050 tablet PC for displaying sheet music. The 9.7" 1024x768 iPad screen made the music nearly unreadable. It was garbage. Often you couldn't even tell an eighth note from a sixteenth note.

Unfortunately it seems the RDF for most people turns off only when Apple comes out with an improved version. Not when competitors come out with products which address those shortcomings. e.g. jamsbong's post which compares all the features where the iPad is superior, blissfully unaware of the areas where it's inferior (CPU, usable screen size for movies and photos, thinness - which used to be considered a pro until the competition beat the iPad, memory expansion via microSD card slot, micro-USB port, etc.). I suspect the moment Apple beats the competition at any of these features, he will suddenly become aware of it and it'll be added to his list.

Apple makes the best tablet. But if one can't see any of its flaws, you need to stop worshiping it and start seeing it for what it really is - a piece of technology which is best in class in many respects, but still has lots of room for improvement.

sliem

Distinguished
Dec 14, 2009
[citation][nom]ZerothDenominator[/nom]DaFees, your math is off.2048x1536 really is double the resolution of 1024x768.Learn to do basic algebra before getting involved with technology.[/citation]

Try not to insult someone when it makes you look stupid instead.
Burn.

G

the new ipad, like the previous, is NOT readable in outdoors, I have it and its' a plain bullshit. Unless you're talking about dark, cloudy days

beetlejuicegr

Distinguished
Jan 10, 2011
It is nice to see that Apple makes some good steps forward prior to other tablet/mobile makers, because Apple sell the innovation and performance expensive enough to make me not buy any product from them and makes the antagonists to produce similar quality products on lower price and on Android os, which i prefer because i can customize it and tweak it to my heart's content.

Status
Not open for further replies.