$800-1100 laptop for HD game footage editing and potentially pre-2012 gaming

MykonosFan

Estimable
Dec 6, 2014
1. What is your budget?
$800 to $1100, though I could maybe consider going a couple hundred higher depending on the circumstance.

2. What is the size of the notebook that you are considering?
At least 14" would be nice.

3. What screen resolution do you want?
I'm not really sure what's good. I just know I need an HD display.

4. Do you need a portable or desktop replacement laptop?
I don't have a desktop, and my current laptop just died on me the other night, this will basically be my laptop to use daily for general purposes in addition to what's outlined in the thread title.

5. How much battery life do you need?
I generally stay pretty close to an outlet, so battery life isn't really a concern of mine.

6. Do you want to play games with your laptop? If so then please list the games that you want to with the settings that you want for these games. (Low,Medium or High)?
I'm not gonna be rushing out to get new games to play, but it would be nice to play games I've accumulated over the years without frame drops. The most intensive game I'd want to play currently is Sonic Generations on at least medium settings, but if high settings can come with the territory that would be delightful. My friend might rope me into DOTA 2 again at some point, it would be nice to play that at higher than 18 FPS too.

7. What other tasks do you want to do with your laptop? (Photo/Video editing, Etc.)
So this is the main reason I was considering a new laptop a week ago, and then my laptop died so here I am now haha. I used Premiere Pro CS5 to edit HD game captured from an external piece of hardware (Hauppauge HD PVR 2), and I also rendered the final cuts of that footage on my laptop. A 2 GB video could take hours and hours to finalize rendering (while still providing great quality output), and my laptop would heat up a bit while doing that. It would also be rather sluggish while doing editing, making precise cuts would sometimes amount to guesswork. I want smooth, responsive editing and to cut down on render times. I've been recommended an I7 processor, but I don't know much about computer internals so beyond that I don't know where to go.
I would also be using this same laptop for internet browsing, YouTube playback, and maybe an occassional game stream (through the above capture device through Xsplit, not streaming PC games).

8. How much storage (Hard Drive capacity) do you need?
At least 500 GB, 1 TB seems to be pretty standard everywhere though. I have an external to store completed game capture on as needed.
9. If you are considering specific sites to buy from, please post their links.
~
10. How long do you want to keep your laptop?
As long as possible. This will be my first time purchasing my own computing device and I've never dropped this much cash on anything at once, other than my car (which did cost more haha). Years and years would be nice.

11. What kind of Optical drive do you need? DVD ROM/Writer,Bluray ROM/Writer,Etc ?
If it can burn CDs, that would be nice. Occasionally I like to make a mix for driving.

12. Please tell us about the brands that you prefer to buy from them and the brands that you don't like and explain the reasons.
I don't really have any preferences, as long as it's reliable.

13. What country do you live in?
United States of America.

14. Please tell us any additional information if needed.

I'm not familiar at all with PC hardware specs, so when you start throwing out GTX-6919T58 graphics card terms or whatever I won't really have a mental benchmark for what that means, so be patient with the idiot please. Haha. I know a desktop PC would be a much better option for what I'm trying to do here, but I really don't have the space for that. Plus it would be great to take this over to a friend's house every few months as I can keep our game / commentary recordings on my own laptop for ease.

As a nitpicky thing, I'd really prefer a finish that won't be immediately covered in finger print smudges as that kind of stuff drives me nuts. I had put some thought into the Lenovo Y50 but the glossy finish put me off, in addition to the 5400 RPM hard drive writing speed. From what I've been told I want at least 7200 (as I'd be forgoing an SSD potentially).

Thank you very much for your time!