~$800 Laptop recommendations

Hybridstigmata

Distinguished
May 11, 2010
Hopefully formatted for your easy reading:

1. What is your budget? $800 +- $100

2. What is the size of the notebook that you are considering? Looking for around 15".

3. What screen resolution do you want? Not really important.

4. Do you need a portable or desktop replacement laptop? Leaning towards portable, but I'll probably end up using the laptop at home too, unless gaming/other circumstances.

5. How much battery life do you need? Reasonable; Over average would be superb.

6. Do you want to play games with your laptop? Yes, but only occasionally/casual games. The most intensive example would be around Starcraft II, medium.

7. What other tasks do you want to do with your laptop? (Photo/Video editing, Etc.) Photoshop, 3D Maya, Occasional video editing, Movies.

8. How much storage (Hard Drive capacity) do you need? 500gb or over.

9. How long do you want to keep your laptop? Preferably 2 years.

10. What kind of Optical drive do you need? Nothing special, CD roms.

11. What country do you live in? Sydney, Australia.

12. Please tell us any additional information if needed. Aesthetics aren't super important but I do want something pleasing for the eyes :)

Thanks in advance for everyone who reads this! Suggestions would be wonderful.

Hybridstigmata

Distinguished
May 11, 2010
What about this HP dv6t Quad Laptop: Core i7-2630QM 2GHz, 6GB DDR3, 640GB 7200rpm HDD, Blu-Ray/DVDRW, 15.6" 1366x768 LED, Radeon $850.00?
http://www.dealstudio.com/searchdeals.php?type=id&q=d250220&ru=28905604
Looks cool specs, right? Hope u find the best bet.

Would be superb but not sure if I can find a good deal like that that ships to Australia.
@Maziar, trying to find some stores overseas that ships to Australia because of the stupidly high prices here.
I'll keep this thread updated asap
Thanks for the contributions btw :)