8600m GT faulty?

pcfreak101

Distinguished
Jul 26, 2008
I'm back :D
Ok, so after great deliberation, I finally decided to get the Lenovo Ideapad Y510 with the 8600 GT card. So far I couldn't be happier. Great design, amazing feel, and incredible performance, all for an EXTREMELY low price ($764 shipped). The one thing that bothers me though, is the graphics card. I looked at the detailed specs in RivaTuner and GPU-Z and it seems that I have the G84 Revision A2 core. This revision is supposedly among the faulty 8600's. I do know that heat is the primary reason that these chips have been dieing. The temps on mine have been very satisfactory, testing RaceDriver GRID for about 30 minutes, GPU temps peaked at 90C and then settled back down to a healthy 85. This was with the machine on my lap mind you, I could probably get even better temps with it on a desk, let alone a notebook cooler. So, should I be worried about my laptops health? Are these temps sufficient to make the gpu fail? Also, is there any way I could undervolt the gpu in order to get even better temps, and if so, would this compromise performance (no overclock)? I have a one year warranty, and am considering upgrading to a three year warranty later. Does anyone know how quickly the gpu would/could fail? Also, should I upgrade my warranty? I realize this is a lot of questions to ask in one post, and for you guys to answer, so I thank you for your time.

dwellman

Distinguished
Dec 14, 2002
I always say that it's better to have it and not need it than to need it and not have it. For new notebooks, though it can take a while for replacement parts to 1) become readily available, and 2) be reasonably priced. Sometimes neither happens. For the IdeaPad, I'd grab the longest warranty I could afford covering at least parts. 3 years is good. . . 4 years is better-- that's about how long it takes for things to trickle into the "off-lease" / "surplused out" category and therefore be very inexpensive to enact repairs one's self; however, by that time one might want a new machine anyway.

So to reiterate, longest warranty you can afford.

[EDIT: stupid typos]