9 Reasons the XPS 15z Trumps the MacBook Pro

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Guide community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.
G

You certainly make a good case for he Dell, but I am not buying! I am unwilling to change the OS (Mac) and I am even more unwilling to lose my Apple customer service. I cannot tell you how many times the folks at my Apple Store have helped me with "under the radar" problems that crop up, not to mention the formal requests I make to the Genius Bar or Apple Care.

I use a March early '08 MBP, but I have the latest OS. With Windows, I am still confused over the different versions of Windows OS. Why do they do that? Also, I used to have Windows on my Mac, but just found that it isn't necessary.

For you, the Dell make work just fine, but it just isn't my cup of tea!

cabuck

Distinguished
Feb 27, 2008
[citation][nom]tgandy[/nom]Well besides being half the price. I don't know many Mac owners, but all of them use Parallels to run Windows software that they don't have native. But they just don't want to hear it when I challenge them on this situation.-Andy[/citation]This is entire review is akin to comparing a large navel orange to a clementine.

As others have pointed out, the number of CPU cores alone should have raised the editorial red flag. The screen size is also a big difference. Viewing 19x10 on a 15" screen is much different from looking at a 17" screen at the same resolution. This significant of a form factor (and price) difference renders the comparison invalid. As another commenter suggested: put the 15" MBP up against the Dell and come back with the review.

Also, I want to take the author to task regarding the photographic comparison between the Dell XPS unit and an older Dell Inspiron. Why on earth is the Inspiron a part of this review? I thought that this was a comparison between the XPS and the MBP. In fact, there wasn't a single Tom's Guide-generated visual comparison between the two hardware units. This is another editorial red flag that should have kept this article from seeing the light of day.

Lastly, I can't believe that the default trial software that comes on a Windows machine is being touted as an asset or something of any measurable value. As a professional who has configured thousands of 'Wintel' machines (using model machines & cloning), the very first thing that I do is remove that crap and install all of the useful utilities and licenses that I have spent the time / money to download and acquire via optical media. That is the exact same thing that a Mac user would do if they haven't ordered that software pre-installed. If Dell made available the option to have a "clean" Windows installation (as some consumer makers do), that would be a *huge* plus in my book.

Additionally, so what if people are using Parallels on their MBPs to gain access to necessary tools? Thousands upon thousands of people use virtualized environments on Windows machines to emulate older Windows versions, Linux / Unix environments, etc. because they need access to useful tools or for testing purposes. It is a non-issue.

FYI, I do own a handful of iOS devices, but my primary (self-built) machines and professional expertise lies in the world of Windows. I have limited hands-on, professional time with OS X desktop and laptop-class units.

deadlockedworld

Distinguished
Aug 13, 2009
I agree with the value comparison, but this thing is totally wrong on aesthetics. Dell isnt even close to Apple on design--and no PC is.

I didnt think macbooks were that great until really using one. Touch them both and you will recognize Apple's custom aluminum as superior right away.

G

Yes yes yes, but what's it like to run linux on it?

If it's crap, ie driver nightmares, it don't matter, like the macbook, do not want.

G

Yay! Free bloatware and trial advertisements installed on the Dell! What an amazing software package!

Dell has amazing driver support! Their vista laptops could easily "downgrade" from vista to xp. Or upgrade to windows 7 with the right drivers! Dell told me how! They said to buy a new computer!

So I bought a MacBook shortly after the inverter in my Dell fried. So far... It has been worth it.

Also, shouldn't the keyboard light turn on BEFORE you start typing? Think about it, Dell. Apple did.

superkillrobot

Distinguished
Apr 20, 2011
I'm not a really a huge fan of Apple, however, this article seems a little biased. I didn't feel it was a real comparison. The bias really showed when Dell's bloatware was compared to iLife, and when the author basically accused Mac users of all being hipsters.

I don't own a Mac because I think they are over priced, and I don't have the money to buy one in the first place. That said, as I get more and more involved with music production, and the use of my computer becomes less and less about gaming, I have started saving for a Mac. However, I'm not just going to throw in the towel on Windows, why does it ever have to be an Either/Or situation? I plan on using both in the future.

G

This was a disappointing article. Editors, how did you possibly let this slip through?

I'd like to know if the reviewer got to keep the Dell; is that how this article came to be? Did Dell offer the laptop in exchange for a favorable review? Tom's should add a disclaimer for situations like that. Or was this a blatant ad for Dell that they purchased from Tom's? I'm honestly asking - how did an article this blatantly biased (and plain stupid, e.g. point 8) make it through? This read like a marketing brochure.

I have my usual tech news sites open in tabs and I don't usually read Tom's but it was a slow news day so I came over to look for something interesting on my lunch break. I found this. It definitely does nothing to make me consider adding Tom's to my usual list of sites I check in on.

G

17.3-inch 1920x1200 LED WOW! thats awsome the difference between 1920x1080 and1920x1200 is huge in PC's

Khimera2000

Distinguished
Jul 16, 2009
For me the bloat wear is a big negative. the more there is the more uninstalling I have to do out of the box. On the flip side though I don't see Mac as being worth the cost for me.

To be honest its not really the cost. Its just that i don't trust apple. I still see OSX as a rip off on the linux community, with not much given back in return. I'm a really big fan, and this move makes me dislike them more then M$.

Once apple comes out with a new OS generation ill start considering them. Till then, there just a bunch of over priced linux boxes in my eyes.

I do agree with a lot of people here though. there is no way the dell can have that much of an advantage on an MBP. a one on one with two computers that don't share price or size is just flat out wrong, however I do agree on the argument about USB3, especially since the port sustains backwards compatibility.

G

My last Dell was such a lemon, it is my last Dell. Dell Support has gotten horrible. Three major meltdowns in a month. Re-installing windows. Disk fried. Can't run a monitor. Can't talk to a printer.

Prior Dell models have been only so,so. I have loved PCs I built myself. I love my Mac.
It must take all kinds.

OSX

Distinguished
Jul 6, 2007
I agree with sgolden. This is article is nothing but a bias joke

Hmm 15" and 17" MBP have two GPUs. Intel HD Graphics 3000 384MB of DDR3 SDRAM shared with main memory, and AMD Radeon HD 6490M with 256MB GDDR5 or AMD Radeon HD 6750M with 1GB GDDR5 with automatic graphics switching feature. Call dell XPS 15z do that? Hmm, no.

Also MBP have multi-touch track pad which Dell don't have at all.

Comparing a 15" to a 17" Notebook is like comparing apples and orange.

I am a PC and a Mac user. I tend to side Mac for everyday usage and the only thing I see that PC are good for is for gaming. Hell, 27" iMac has an optional 6970M with 2GB GDDR5 and I consider that is LAN Gaming All in one machine.

Do some more research before you compare, because this article proofs your a joke

OSX

Distinguished
Jul 6, 2007
I agree with sgolden. This is article is nothing but a bias joke

Hmm 15" and 17" MBP have two GPUs. Intel HD Graphics 3000 384MB of DDR3 SDRAM shared with main memory, and AMD Radeon HD 6490M with 256MB GDDR5 or AMD Radeon HD 6750M with 1GB GDDR5 with automatic graphics switching feature. Call dell XPS 15z do that? Hmm, no.

Also MBP have multi-touch track pad which Dell don't have at all.

Comparing a 15" to a 17" Notebook is like comparing apples and orange.

I am a PC and a Mac user. I tend to side Mac for everyday usage and the only thing I see that PC are good for is for gaming. Hell, 27" iMac has an optional 6970M with 2GB GDDR5 and I consider that is LAN Gaming All in one machine.

Do some more research before you compare, because this article proofs your a joke

Silly Boots

Distinguished
Apr 24, 2011
@ OSX

The 525m Nvidia card in the XPS15z has an automatic graphic switching feature, Optimus. It is regarded as better than AMD's switching feature, as well. So that point you have is pretty much moot.

While I agree with you the article is awfully written, there are some major advantages the 15z has over the MBP which can't be ignored; mainly the price, screen resolution, and native Windows.

OSX

Distinguished
Jul 6, 2007
@ silly boots

Thanks for nothing that about 525m Nvidia card
The only thing I see that XPS15z has advantages of MBP is price. For 15in, do you really need 1920 x 1080p? For 15in, it’s a small screen with high resolution and a normal person can’t really see much that detail. When it comes to native windows, the MBP can turn into a windows machine by not using OSX.

Status
Not open for further replies.