9 Reasons the XPS 15z Trumps the MacBook Pro

Page 4 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Guide community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

shawngunnison

Distinguished
Mar 10, 2009
I have a 17" display, quad core i7, 6GB memory, 1.25TB hard disk space, backlit keyboard, embedded WiMax, and a GPU that can max pretty much any game on the market and then some... for $1100. Available with 1080p display for an extra couple hundred bucks. And it's built like a tank. For $1100... where is Apple's competition to this? For $1100.......... I get half the system from Apple for twice as much. Except screen res and nice battery - but then again there are no MacBooks with real/hardcore gamer GPUs.

At least they look pretty. Whatever.

jimsong

Distinguished
Aug 20, 2011
[citation][nom]flybri[/nom]But for me, in terms of being able to be used by me, OS X is annoying as hell, because I'm a power user. OS X is great because it's simple, and that appeals to many people. For me though, it's too simple, and doesn't do what I want when I want it. I, unlike a lot of people, like right-clicking and having a ton of options to choose from. But to call it "Winblows 7" sounds pretty fanboy-ish and ridiculous. Windows 7 is a great OS...extremely stable (haven't had any crashes or blue screens), efficient, scaleable, and customizeable, and way more secure than OS X. Don't get me wrong, OS X has it's place, but to say that it's better than Windows 7 is just ignorant...[/citation]

Are you kidding me? OS X is not for power users? I'm a software engineer and all the developers at my company have a choice of Mac or PC and most go with Mac. Where's the UNIX terminal on Windows? I find the command prompt on Windows to be annoying and difficult to use. Yes, OS X has what you may call a simplified UI and if you just stuck to that, than your argument would hold water. However, true power users could do everything you could through a UI and far more through the terminal and would have no need for "right clicking and having a ton of options to choose from." Enter a simple command and you're done.

G

"every bit as aesthetically pleasing"?!?!

Seriously?!

The XPS15z is head and shoulders above other Dells (and most other PC laptops) in terms of design, but it is certainly NOT "every bit as aesthetically pleasing" as the Apple product.

The devil is in the details, and the details of the Mac Book is what makes it such a simple and elegant machine, while the details of the Dell betray its more pedestrian pedigree. The reviewer has absolutely no eye for detail.

I have both Dell and Apple products. Heck, I bought several large Dell monitors a year ago, thinking they looked fine and I could save some money. But now I am getting rid of them and replacing them with 27" Apples. Again, the devil is in the details, and when someone spends a whole day in front of a computer, esthetics mater (given the choice, nobody wants to work on the Dells, that's why I am replacing them). At the end, buying Apple would have saved me money in the first place....

Yes, the Mac Book is more expensive, but again, for something that one has to look at every single day, for a couple of years, the extra $500 is well worth it.

The review is a little like someone trying to argue that their Camaro has better specs than a BMW, and it looks sportier....

(end of rant)

G

Software package is irrelevant. Most of the third-party apps the Dell come with are trialware or severely handicapped versions. For most users, it should be noted that both platforms can get their respective versions of Office for about the same price.

Fit and Finish - MBP wins but it is much closer than it ever has been. Dell's quality has improved but not on par with the unibody ones.

Price. A big one for most people, Dell and most PC manufacturers do put out a cheaper product with improving quality and designs.

Features:
The Dell wins because finding a USB3 external hard drive is a lot easier and cheaper than one using FW800 and that at least you have the option for Bluray. Thunderbolt is a promising new technology that Mac users are going to love if they embrace the new ADC but it isn't really compelling for the PC side at present.

The Conclusion should be: all you PC users that drooled over the MBP design and spent twice what you should of and installed Win 7 on it, you need not suffer any longer. The XPS 15z is the machine for you.

G

Ive read in numerous reviews the Dell has a poor battery life almost half that of the Macbook pro and that Dell measures its battery life with the screen on minimum brightness.

Also you state the Dell is thinner although it is infact not, the Macbook pro officially on the apple website is 0.95", Dell states on its official site it is 0.97".

Does the Dell have Quadcore, NO it does not, meaning the Macbook Pro 15' has superior processor speed. That is if you are comparing it to the 15" Mabook Pro not the 13"

It's as beautiful as any Mac, Really? Well considering they copied the design it is definately alot more aesthetically pleasing than any other Dell. However the Macbook Pro has an aluminium uni-body (a singular piece of aluminium where as the Dell is bolted together giving it a significant amount noticeable flex when more than a little pressure is applied. Also going back to the beautiful part, it does not look as nice as a mac, maybe an i book, but nothing made in the last 4 years.

You draw your comparisons from 3 different models of the Macbook pro, surely it would be fair to compare it with the 15" Macbook Pro?? when you talk about performance and price. Yes a 17" will cost significantly more than a 13" one.

Lastly, more out of the box? I think this article was written by Dell fan boy as there is clearlly a lot of bias in this review.

G

I totally disagree with the following statement. My Dell XPS Z had a faulty case which made the chrome edging stick out slightly, resulting in a really sharp edge around the unit. The edge is so sharp that if you run your fingers over it, it results in a very sharp, razor-blade like cut. i have tried everything to smooth this edge down that I ultimately had to pull the chrome edging off the machine to resolve the issue. No more cuts on my finger but now i have an ugly casing on my machine. Thanks, Dell.

"There isn't a single sharp edge on this unit, unlike the MacBook Pro. Everything is rounded and smooth."

G

OMG! I hate my MacBookPro... mac not supporting windows program. It become so noisy and hot when I use it for 3D program in windows (Google Skechup Vray)

Status
Not open for further replies.