A couple of brief questions...

Shayn_1

Prominent
Aug 8, 2017
My friend and I have phones that use Android Marshmallow, and we had a few questions. In the upper right corner of the screen, just to the right of the internet strength meter, there appears to be a triangle of some sort, that fluctuates from time to time. The majority of the time, it is on to some degree. It is worth noting that we have AT&T Wi-Fi service in our house, and that we usually receive a good to excellent signal from the Wi-Fi.
As you all probably know, once the data usage reaches a certain point, our service provider slows down our service until the next billing cycle, which is ob
obviously something we would not like.
Can anybody shed some light on this subject? Thanks in advance for your assistance.

Regards,

SP & KD

Solution
To not use your data, and only use your WiFi, you would actually have to go into the phones "Settings" when able to access WiFi and 'turn off' the data. It is usually somewhere like "Settings", then "Data Usage" and the option to turn off data is there.

If not actually 'turned off' by you, the phone will automatically use the data rather than the WiFi. You would then have to turn the data back on when you go away from your WiFi.

This is why, even on a phone that has no actual service, you can see use the device if you can access WiFi.

There is no way, other than that, to change it so that you aren't running up your data usage. Unless you got an unlimited plan with your carrier/service provider. Which can be quite costly.
To not use your data, and only use your WiFi, you would actually have to go into the phones "Settings" when able to access WiFi and 'turn off' the data. It is usually somewhere like "Settings", then "Data Usage" and the option to turn off data is there.

If not actually 'turned off' by you, the phone will automatically use the data rather than the WiFi. You would then have to turn the data back on when you go away from your WiFi.

This is why, even on a phone that has no actual service, you can see use the device if you can access WiFi.

There is no way, other than that, to change it so that you aren't running up your data usage. Unless you got an unlimited plan with your carrier/service provider. Which can be quite costly.

Solution

Shayn_1

Prominent
Aug 8, 2017
Dear webworkings, thanks a lot for your response. While I don't understand it completely, I did get the gist of it and have responded accordingly.
Thanks again for your assistance.

Regards,

SP