A GPU that can double outperform a GTX 1060

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Guide community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Lycaone

Prominent
Mar 2, 2017
Hey there, i'm looking for a GPU (or more if necessary) that can play VR, but for 2 people (me and my brother) in 1 rig, cause of space issues.

So i was thinking that in order to play VR (solo) you need, at least, a GTX 1060,so a graphics card that has double the performance of a 1060 will do the trick ;)

Which GPU/GPUs should we get ???

Thanks

Solution

bjornl

Estimable

I don't think VMWare or Hyper-V allow you to specify which graphics card is used by which VM. I haven't tried that, but VMs use a system call to get video and gaming in a VM is never very good as a result (I have done this second bit).

Sakkura

Distinguished

You can use a hypervisor to pass through hardware to multiple virtualized operating systems.

And a GTX 1060 is easily capable of VR for a single user. Splitting a GTX 1080 Ti to two users wouldn't be straightforward, but the raw performance would otherwise be sufficient for 2 people running VR. But it would be a better idea to simply have two separate cards (1060s for example) and just pass through one to each user.

Whether this setup would work with all the special tricks that go into VR I can't say for sure.

It doesn't work well for gaming, as I said, Vr is just a monitor, so if you can play 2 games similtaiously using both GPU's separately with 2 different sets of inputs on 1 copy of a OS, then there is a chance. Odd's are, it won't work.

Solution