A laptop for basic game development, 3D modeling and animation?

Nasric

Estimable
May 25, 2014
I'm a Computer Science student in the United States who's currently looking around for a laptop to bring with me for my studies. My budget is around $600-700, but I've got some room to wiggle the price a bit if I'm going to be paying a premium for something much nicer.

This laptop will be used for animation with Source Filmmaker (the system requirements can be found at the bottom of the linked FAQ), basic game development with the Unity engine, and simple 3D modeling practice to create game assets with Blender. This laptop will be dedicated toward coursework and side projects with only a few games installed - Team Fortress 2 and League of Legends are the main ones - so I don't have too many gaming requirements. With that being said, animation in Source Filmmaker is usually done with Source game models, so being able to run games like Team Fortress 2 on the highest settings would be necessary.

I'd ideally like at least 8GB of RAM, but that's the only real requirement that I have. I'm not brand loyal, as I've never owned a laptop before. An HD webcam would be nice, but isn't required.