A Laptop for College and Casual Gaming

Dogamano

Estimable
Nov 22, 2014
1. What is your budget?

Max price is $1500

2. What is the size of the notebook that you are considering?

No bigger than 14"

3. What screen resolution do you want?

Whatever screen maximize battery life but doesn't interfer with gaming

4. Do you need a portable or desktop replacement laptop?

Portable. I want to use this as my everyday laptop around campus so it should be able to fit comfortably in a bag.

5. How much battery life do you need?

Preferably as much as possible. I will be using it for taking notes in classes and general portable gaming.

6. Do you want to play games with your laptop? If so then please list the games that you want to with the settings that you want for these games. (Low,Medium or High)?

I want to play games like Call of Duty, Far Cry 4, or NBA. It does have to be on high settings just something that's playable

7. What other tasks do you want to do with your laptop? (Photo/Video editing, Etc.)

I will be using it for taking notes and soft-core gaming. I will use it for writing papers and such

8. How much storage (Hard Drive capacity) do you need?

I know this shouldn't affect the price much, so probably 500GB. Again, I won't be using it for too much.

9. If you are considering specific sites to buy from, please post their links.

No idea.

10. How long do you want to keep your laptop?

I would like to keep it all 4 years of college without having to replace it.

11. What kind of Optical drive do you need? DVD ROM/Writer,Bluray ROM/Writer,Etc ?

Basic. I might watch movies on it, but they won't be guaranteed to be disks.

12. Please tell us about the brands that you prefer to buy from them and the brands that you don't like and explain the reasons.

No brand preferences.

13. What country do you live in?

United States

14. Please tell us any additional information if needed.

I'm flexible on most of these things. I'm just looking for a good laptop to take with me to college.

Thank you in advance

Solution
For sure. 17in isn't exactly a monster to carry around but I respect you decision. I think 15in is perfect for a laptop, that is the size I have anyway. Be advised, your hardware isn't going to be nearly as good in a 15in getup.

Here is another nice laptop, with around 5 hours of battery.

ASUS ROG GL551JM-DH71 15.6" Gaming Laptop w/ GeForce GTX860M 2GB GDDR5 and Optimus Technology, 1 TB 7200RPM HDD https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00MMMMMX2/ref=cm_sw_r_awd_kBmCub0N0PGXF

Edit: I know I'm being one sided here with Asus only laptops, but I really wouldn't use anything other than those. MSI (such as the Apache series), Digital Storm, ibuypower, and others have very similar products of similar quality, but I like Asus the most. Never had an...

ferwindjacks

Honorable
Jun 26, 2013
If I was to buy any gaming laptop or casual use laptop, it would be an Asus. This one has a top of the line 970m dedicated GPU, i7 processor, 1TB hdd, 16gb of RAM (upgradable to 32gb), and a full HD display.

The downside? Around 4 hours of juice. This may be a killer for you, but if you really want to game with this thing I recommend you get it. There are always external battery packs you can buy to charge your laptop...

http://m.newegg.com/Product/index?itemnumber=N82E16834232202

Dogamano

Estimable
Nov 22, 2014

I was looking for a smaller screen however. I feel like a 17" would be to big to carry around

ferwindjacks

Honorable
Jun 26, 2013
For sure. 17in isn't exactly a monster to carry around but I respect you decision. I think 15in is perfect for a laptop, that is the size I have anyway. Be advised, your hardware isn't going to be nearly as good in a 15in getup.

Here is another nice laptop, with around 5 hours of battery.

ASUS ROG GL551JM-DH71 15.6" Gaming Laptop w/ GeForce GTX860M 2GB GDDR5 and Optimus Technology, 1 TB 7200RPM HDD https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00MMMMMX2/ref=cm_sw_r_awd_kBmCub0N0PGXF

Edit: I know I'm being one sided here with Asus only laptops, but I really wouldn't use anything other than those. MSI (such as the Apache series), Digital Storm, ibuypower, and others have very similar products of similar quality, but I like Asus the most. Never had an issue with them.

Solution

Dogamano

Estimable
Nov 22, 2014

This looks perfect. I think the 15" will suit my needs but I'll look into it some more. Thank you very much

ferwindjacks

Honorable
Jun 26, 2013
No problem, just remember that whatever you choose is whatever you'll be stuck with!

If you have any other questions, feel free to post back or start a new thread. This forum is full of very knowledgeable people that take time out of their day to help others.