A laptop I got stopped working and I need to know if it's worth trying to fix

BlueSpider

Commendable
Feb 23, 2016
To start off I'm not the greatest with parts of computers and fixing stuff like that. I can generally fix most issues looking them up on the internet and working from there so just going forward I may not use the correct "computer language" for stuff but I'm pretty sure you will know what I'm getting at.

I tried to separate basically each section of what we did to get it started and such to possibly make it easier to read.

Alright so lets start at the beginning. So my brother got his friends old IBuyPower laptop which was apparently broken a few months back because he was thinking about salvaging it for possible parts to make a new computer. He never did do that. Like a week back he got the friend to give him the Adapter so we could try and get it working.

We (my brother and I) got it started once with just messing around with the adapter cords and we managed to get it started. Unfortunately we decided to take it downstairs to our gaming room to set it up and it wouldn't start again. So we waited a bit then my brother decided to take out the battery and put it back in. It started up but started beeping constantly until we turned it off again. He tried that multiple times and it kept beeping so we just kinda gave up for the day.We decided to keep it plugged in overnight to see what would happen.

The next day I woke up I went down and tried to get it started. It wouldn't start on its own so I took the battery out and put it back in and it worked. It worked for a week like that starting it up every morning taking the battery out and putting it back in. The weird thing was when I did that the entire week it worked at the bottom where it shows the batteries power it wasn't filled and there was a little X on the bottom right of it. It still said "(Plugged in, Charging)" but that X was there. It also said "You may want to considering replacing your battery" or something along that line. But yeah it worked fine for a week. Note: The reason I didn't keep it on overnight is the computer has had a past of getting really hot so I didn't want to risk anything plus the computer wouldn't come out of sleep mode when I put it in it.

Today I decided to start it up again and it worked fine. About ~4ish hours ago it just turned off suddenly and then turned back on. The problem was the Laptop wasn't charging at all. So I took a sock and propped up the actual plug in to the laptop and it started to charge again. As long as I had most of the wire propped up facing down it would charge other then that it wouldn't work. I tried restarting the computer a few times to no avail. A lot of the time I started it up the computer starting beeping again until I propped up the cord and got it charging again. I had it in a good position and it was working fine and then it just died again like 10 minutes earlier and I haven't been able to get it on since then. The battery was pretty hot afterwards so I removed it and let it cool down.

My brother and I originally thought getting a new battery would maybe fix the problem but I'm thinking we may need a new AC adapter for it as well due to the final problem. The other problem is I'm not sure if that will even fix it at all and I would just be throwing that money away. I'm only 16 and tore my knee up so I don't have a job so I don't have much money to throw around trying to fix it. I've tried every fix on the internet and to no avail.

I'm mainly just looking to get some input if it is worth trying to fix with a possible new battery/AC Adapter. I don't have much info on the computer itself because well it's dead and I didn't look to much into the info of the computer. I do remember somewhat of it and I will post it below. I'm aware the computer is a bit older but I was still able to run like all the games I play on it and I could even run The Division on 30 FPS which is more than I'm used to so it was cool.

Computer: IBUYPOWER i-Series 801 - Model P170HM

Battery: MODEL P150HMBAT-8 (Celxpert) (http://www.amazon.com/Generic-5200mAh-Lapotp-Battery-P150HMBAT-8/dp/B00J6AUHWG/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1456276730&sr=8-2&keywords=P150HMBAT-8)

AC Adapter: Model: AD226W (Looks to be this one - http://www.amazon.com/Hipower-iBuyPower-Battalion-P170HM-3DE-P170HM-PS1/dp/B00I2W29LG/ref=sr_1_24?ie=UTF8&qid=1456276989&sr=8-24&keywords=Ibuypower+ac+adapter)

If you need any more info I can try and provide it but it's probably very limited due to my knowledge and I just don't remember it really.

I'll update this thread if anything new comes up.

Any help is GREATLY appreciated. Also if you need anything clarified or don't understand what I'm saying don't hesitate to ask. I will take no offense whatsoever.

Thanks,

-BlueSpider

Hi, STOP USING THE LAPTOP. From what you are saying the DC jack is damaged which may be causing a short somewhere along the line.

However try running it without a battery. Does that fix the issue? Just remember; Don't leave it on while not attended! (Unless you like living in a pile of ashes).

BlueSpider

Commendable
Feb 23, 2016

It doesn't run without the battery tried it before posting this and just tried it again and it didn't work. I also never left it on unattended as I just used common sense considering it would heat up fairly quickly.