A laptop to use with an external gpu (gaming)

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Guide community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Max Guymer

Estimable
Jun 27, 2014
Hello, I was wondering what laptop to get, because I need one for my coursework, but I'd also like to game on it so I looked into external pcie board that plus into a mini pcie slot on the laptop (e Graphics card). I will be running a gtx 970 on this board so I need a laptop with an accessible mini pcie slot, and a processor that won't bottleneck the 970

Budget is around £250 - 350
Size isn't a worry
full 1080p resolution, although 720p won't be too bad
Portable Laptop
I want to play games at med to high settings (I'm using an external pcie board so I can use a desktop gtx 970 with it)
Needs to have a good processor, I don't mind too much about the gpu in the laptop. (read the above)
Battery life, about 5 hours, doesn't matter too much because where I work I can use a socket to charge
1tb of storage
Optical drive, i'm not too bothered about
I live in the U.K
I'm pairing the laptop with an external gpu at home (gtx 970) so I need a laptop with a processor that can keep up with that

Lutfij

Splendid
You an go through a couple of SFF cases:
Bifenix Pandora/Prodigy
Coolermaster Elite series
Corsair 250D
EVGA Hadron Air
Fractal Node 304
Inwin BP series/D-frame mini
are some examples of chassis' that take up minimal footprint

If you're interested in a custom case - then I might know someone selling a Compact Splash chassis in your country. I say: "why compromise?" :)

Max Guymer

Estimable
Jun 27, 2014

Hahah, I guess it wouldn't hurt to take a look at the custom case :p

Lutfij

Splendid
I got 4 of them if you'd like to know :p

Nevertheless mate, I think we've moved far from the topic. If you're interested we could hook you up with a sff system or if you'd like hold out until the mid of this year for news on new tech. You can pull off your work in the meantime with a notebook for work. If the GTX970 is lying around, perhaps look for a potential buyer and trade hands. Recover some dough and make a purchase later...?