A Machine That Gives Out Ice Cream if You Smile

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Guide community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

DjEaZy

Distinguished
Apr 3, 2008
... sophisticated way of surveillance... nobody asks, who gonna be in control of the information about age, gender and pictures, in that are you smiling? And when facebook is involved... ...

anamaniac

Distinguished
Jan 7, 2009
[citation][nom]killerclick[/nom]This is discriminatory towards people who have no teeth[/citation]
Or people who, like me, can't really smile. :)
Still, pretty epic.
[citation][nom]micr0be[/nom]nothing is "FREE" i bet there collecting some kind of information on the people using that machine, but my best guess is optimizing the facial recognition software for further development using ice cream as rewards./no conspiracy theories or anything, just a general wonderment.[/citation]
Does sound like a mass test system for facial recognition. Regardless, free ice cream!

JonnyDough

Distinguished
Feb 24, 2007
This is discriminatory towards people who have no teeth

People with dentures don't get cold headaches or sensitivity to cold on their teeth. Besides, nobody said that you can't pop in a few vampire teeth around Halloween, scare the kids, and eat your ice-cream too. Although sometimes people having no teeth are more scary to me than those wearing plastic fangs. *shudder

JonnyDough

Distinguished
Feb 24, 2007
Does sound like a mass test system for facial recognition. Regardless, free ice cream!

The new Google/Microsoft/Apple/Medical Insurance/Government conglomerate-backed software is recording who enjoys chocolate, who prefers vanilla, and who likes theirs with a twist in an effort to use this information to brainwash the global populace and take over the world. Beware.

mikem_90

Distinguished
Jun 24, 2010
Its only a test. Best way to get a LOT of people to test out your hardware willingly is to make it give an incentive, ie: Free Ice cream.

The data you glean helps you tune the facial recognition software even more. Instead of paying a bunch of bored broke college students $100+ each, you give out free ice cream and actually get a better representation of people.

Imagine a regular R&D Department having to spend $10k+ a week tuning the system, where instead they get the same benefit by making an ice cream run to Cosco.

Status
Not open for further replies.