A Peek at Google's 'Beautiful' New Gmail UI

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Guide community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

s997863

Distinguished
Aug 29, 2007
They have a new format? I wouldn't know since mine has been on 'basic HTML' for a looong time :)
(basic HTML = 30 MB mem usage in task-manager vs +100MB for gmail's standard view. yeah, google really knows how to keep things simple ...)

G

I like gmail, but one thing that annoys me so much - because I have let my inbox build up too much - is that when I want to sort it out to put into folders, I use search to locate the relevant mails. It then allows me to label these alright, but it does NOT allow me to put them directly into a folder only back to inbox! This means I have to go page by page to find the labelled ones before I can move them where I want to.

Am I missing something or is this just bad design? If bad design, has this been rectified in the new interface?

G

In response to some of the critiques (and a bit of my own):

The black bar doesn't really stick out all that much when ACTUALLY viewing gmail in the preview theme. I find it very easy to ignore. Some people have complained about the gray on white. In my case the coloring is MUCH nicer on my eyes than the old theme. As far as the text being too light, it really hasn't lightened much and is still very readable on my screen, although darkening the operations links would help some. The UI in general is a bit more drab but I imagine Google is expecting (hoping?) that people will spend a lot of time using this design (remember, they're using similar design elements on Google+) and want to improve scan-ability and reduce eyestrain. The extra padding also helps with that. As for their operations buttons, I'm really impressed that they went this route. The use of "current internet style standard" icons instead of text shows that they're trying to condense and get the UI out of the way and make a cleaner interface. I also really like the extra spacing; that makes things much easier to read (even in condensed). Good work, Google.

As for things I don't like: Let's extend the message container all the way to the right edge, please. There's already padding between the date and the container edge and having those rows stop short just looks strange. I know what you're thinking, "but if we do that, the pagination links will be right at the edge!"...so right-align the older/newer buttons with the date display instead of the end of the row...easy stuff.

Did anyone else notice that the "highlight" colors used throughout are very close the Google logo colors...unlike the original which used more Microsoft-standard colors?

G

I have been receiving obscene emails from people who have gmail.com. As their email address is there any possible way I could find out who is doing this? I do not think it is funny, I am a pensioner and I do not like the content of the emails from gmail.

xyriin

Distinguished
Feb 25, 2010
@zannah
If you've figured out the labels, 'archive' your email in the inbox.
In reality archiving just removes the inbox label from the email, making it so it only shows up in the label you've selected for it.

xyriin

Distinguished
Feb 25, 2010
@zannah
If you've figured out the labels, 'archive' your email in the inbox.
In reality archiving just removes the inbox label from the email, making it so it only shows up in the label you've selected for it.

sicofante

Distinguished
Jul 5, 2009
[citation][nom]zannah[/nom]I like gmail, but one thing that annoys me so much - because I have let my inbox build up too much - is that when I want to sort it out to put into folders, I use search to locate the relevant mails. It then allows me to label these alright, but it does NOT allow me to put them directly into a folder only back to inbox! This means I have to go page by page to find the labelled ones before I can move them where I want to. Am I missing something or is this just bad design? If bad design, has this been rectified in the new interface?[/citation]
Just archive your messages after labeling them. Also: use filters to do this automatically.

everygamer

Distinguished
Aug 1, 2006
It's the same UI for gmail as is on the Honeycomb tablets, so maybe they decided to just have a common interface between the web and mobile devices.

belardo

Distinguished
Nov 23, 2008
Does this mean.... that Google Chrome 13 is about to be released and it may actually look different than Chrome 1~12 which look and function exactly the same way? In all reality, Chrome should be 2.x.

What about Opera 11.50 that just came out? Where is the news on that? They revised the look of the interface top to bottom, and it looks great... I'm not happy with all of it, but it does look very nice. Opera has constantly improved their already great Browser since 10.00 - that FireFox 4 has copied (and IE9 copied FF4 in terms of looks).

IE9 was substandard to IE 10... and 11.0 11.5 is a noticeable step up... and they simply went from 11.11 to 11.5 :)

Marco925

Distinguished
Aug 11, 2008
[citation][nom]laur3ooo[/nom]Last time i checked Hotmail only did pop. If it also does imap i would have cared 5 months ago, now i'm just lazy and only use webmail and google reader (for rss).[/citation]
Mine uses Pop3....

gm0n3y

Distinguished
Mar 13, 2006
Its not really much different than the standard UI. It takes up a little more space so I'm not sure how that makes it 'cleaner'. I guess I prefer the current UI just because I'm used to it, but I won't really care if they switch to the new one.

Rab1d-BDGR

Distinguished
Jan 3, 2009
I hope they roll this out soon. I hate the Gmail interface despite loving the features like labels and conversation view - though they do need a quick-toggle between conversation and regular view rather than hiding this in the settings. There are times when it would be nice to be able to quickly switch between these modes.

...But definitely they need to remove all the damned clutter!

Status
Not open for further replies.