Acer 5552g corrupted bios

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Guide community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Razeh

Honorable
May 28, 2012
Hello.

Excuse me if I'm posting in the wrong section but I'm in need of help and I'm not sure what to do anymore.

My Acer 5552g laptop died yesterday. It doesn't show anything on the screen and only one led is lighting up: the one that has a little lightbulb icon above. The cooling fan starts for a few seconds but then it goes into idle. I haven't done anything special with the laptop prior to it malfunctioning. I've just shut it down (it told me that some background software needs to be closed first but I was in a hurry and clicked the force shutdown button) and the next day, when I tried to turn it on it started behaving like I mentioned.

I suspect it might be a corrupted BIOS problem even tho I haven't tried installing a new version of BIOS on it. I have tried the recovery mode technique which involves pressing FN and Esc and then powering it on while having a BIOS.fd file on an USB stick but that didn't work. Today I have disassembled it in order to find and take out the CMOS battery but I am not able to locate it.

I have attached some pictures of the motherboard. Maybe you can help me find the CMOS battery. Or suggest a solution.

Thank you very much!

2ypf3sw.jpg

29yqvk6.jpg

Razeh

Honorable
May 28, 2012
So if my laptop behaved the same when I removed the HDD, is there really a point in trying to boot it up with... let's say... a linux dvd? Not sure if I can find one today.

I am, however still thinking about doing that reset CMOS thing but I'm not quite sure how could I short up those two contacts and in what conditions. Should the laptop be plugged in, powered on, does it matter if the CMOS battery is there etc.

Razeh

Honorable
May 28, 2012
Yes but that procedure involves removing the CMOS battery. Won't it harm the battery if I leave it on the motherboard? What do you think my problem could be? Hardware failure?

Razeh

Honorable
May 28, 2012
Well the thing is...it says to disconnect the battery's cable and I think it's for a reason. And since mine is soldered I don't think it's the best idea to do it. Yet again, I have no experience whatsoever with mobo's and stuff like this.

Razeh

Honorable
May 28, 2012

Sadly, no. I tried various stuff, even took it to a laptop repair shop. They managed to make it work for a few days but it broke again.

Status
Not open for further replies.