Acer 7745G

RoOka18

Distinguished
Jan 10, 2011
Hello!

I have some questions about my Acer 7745G. It's about 4-5 months old, with the following specs:

Intel Core i7 CPU 720QM
4 GD DDR3
Radeon 5850 1 GB
2x 500 GB WD Hard Drives (both WD5000BEVT-22A0RT0)
Windows 7 Home Premium x64

I have a few problems with my machine:

1. The startup of Windows is INCREDIBLY slow, about 2 minutes or so. It's not a very long time, but my old desktop, with a 3.0 GHz AMD X2 was much much faster. My Windows is not the stock OS that came with the system, I downloaded a torrent with an Acer OEM Win7 Home Premium and used my CD-key that came with my system. It works OK, without any problems and the authentication also succeeded with MS. I don't think that this incredibly slow startup has anything to do with the fact, that my Win is a downloaded one.

2. As I mentioned above, I have 2 HDD-s. My C drive, and any partition of C is OK, but my other drive is totally insane. Sometimes Windows warns me that its failing, but any program I use to determine this says that it's OK. But this 2nd HDD always turns itself off, which results in a 1-2 second delay any time I have to use it, because I have to wait for it to turn back on. I managed to circumvent this problem with a small tool, that creates and deletes a 1 kb file on both HDD every second, and it has absolutely no performance impact on my machine. But, can you tell me if it's a jumper problem? I read something about RPS in WD drives, maybe I have to jumper it somehow different and it will work OK? (It's absolutely sure that it turns itself OFF sometimes, my 1st drive has a work time of about 80 days, while my 2nd only has about 60)

3. I had to reinstall Windows last month. When I was installing all my stock Acer Drivers from acer.com, my CPU went crazy. I Can't install the Turbo Boost driver, because it says that I don't have the required hardware, Intel GMA ?!?... WTF... My first and second Windows installed it without any problems, and now it became totally unusable? :D Anyway, it seems turbo boost works OK, the Turbo Boost gadget shows that it goes to 2.8 or anything below that, but why can't I install the driver?

I hope that you can help me with these problems, and thanks in advance!