Acer Aspire 4738G screen won't turn on

Wyrt

Honorable
Nov 22, 2012
Hi all, I hope someone can help me with this problem. About a month ago, my brother gave me his old Acer Aspire 4738G that I believe would be 2-3 years old. He needed a new laptop because the old one had a broken screen and a broken HDD (so sad). I replaced both those parts and used the laptop mainly to play games for about a month until yesterday.

Whilst playing, the screen started to flicker with weird colours and the image starts to distort. A notification from the taskbar pops up and says something about graphics failing as I barely had time to read it before it shuts down. I turn it on and see blue lights suggesting that it is on however the screen is not. After leaving it alone unplugged and without a battery for a while, I try to turn it on again and it works. I test it by watching a few videos. It works well but later it freezes, flickers and shuts down again.

So, my problem is that now it turns on but the screen does not. The things I did to fix it were:-

*Checked to see if it was the screen. It was not.
*Opened it up to smell around. Nothing seemed to be burnt.
*Took off the HDD. Screen still refuses to light up.

That is all. Any help given would be greatly appreciated :na:

EDIT: Oh nevermind, I've sent the poor old thing to a shop to inspect the components. It ended up being the motherboard's fault.

dimade

Honorable
Dec 10, 2012
i have same problem, when i goto service center laptop they says my vga chip broken, and need for reball vga chipset, and it cost 300.000idr or u can replace vga chipset with new one, i think its a failure production, coz my friend laptop with that type have same problem,sory for my bad english,

dimas -indonesian people- :)