ACER ASPIRE 5315 - 2698 HELP !!!!!!!!!!! Don't know what to do !!!!!

darrelllackey

Distinguished
Sep 15, 2011
Hello,
I bought a broken laptop so that I could fix it up and make it cheaper than buying one new. Boy did I pick a fix'er upper. I bought a broken Acer Aspire 5315-2698 It has a socket P - Intel Celron processor 560. It's a 2.13ghz with 533mhz FSB, 1 MB L cache. The mother board is a ILC50 LA-3551P REV:3.0 I bought a new motherboard cause the one I have was broken, When my new MOBO arrived I installed it and it does the EXACT same thing. Now I don't know if I just bought another broken MOBO or am I missing something here ?? I am a computer tech so here is what it's doing. You hit the power button on and the power light comes on green and the charging light ( for the battery ) comes on and it will charge the battery. I get no post, the fan runs for about 5 sec. and if you put your down to the laptop you hear the HD stop running about the same time the fan stops, plus you can feel it if you hold the laptop. I have done everything that I know, Cleaned the board, The CMOS battery is soldered onto the board so you have to short the battery to clear the CMOS. While holding the power button pushed down for 1 min., I have taken the battery out and AC adapter and layed a butter knive across the battery leads while holding the power button down for 1 min. plus I have researched on line and found that this is a very common issue with this motherboard. The screen never comes on and I have hooked up an external monitor to see if it's just the screen but that didn't work either. I have checked the ram and the processor. I took out each piece of the laptop and checked it with every piece I took out to debud if any hardware was causing the issue. I started with the DVD rom drive, checked it and the same thing, fan runs 5 sec. and stops - no post and then I took out the Hard Drive, battery, Wi-Fi card, Ram, keyboard, all the way down to just the bare mobo and with each item I took off all the same results. I seen where some people were able to use a flash drive for a BIOS update by pressing function f5 when it turns on but it wont boot to a USB flash drive either. I amabout to go insane working and buying parts. By now I could have bought a new laptop. At this point it is a challange to fix it and I want to know if anyone know what's going on or how to fix this issue. Is it the BIOS. Because the chargeing light works and it charges my battery fully and the light beside the charging comes on and stays green as well untill I hold the power button in for 10 sec. to turn it off. Can anyone please advise ?

darrelllackey

Distinguished
Sep 15, 2011
sorry let me restate that part correctly, I bought a new MOBO but I purchased it on ebay as used and tested. He has several of these MOBO's. The person I bought this from has a very high number of feedback and seems creditable. I have contacted him about it today but I have not received an reply. I am hopeing it's the MOBO and he offers to replace with another one, but I see this problem all over the internet. Plus what baffles me is the fact - If it's the BIOS that is bad then the whole mobo should be bad then why does it still charge my battery and green light on the light beside the charging light ( which to me indicates the power)?

darrelllackey

Distinguished
Sep 15, 2011
My processor arrived today and with-out any luck the same thing. Both processors get pretty hot when you turn the system on but the system does not still post, although I am at a lost on one thing. When I purchased my processor the guy said that this was not the correct processor for this model ??? But it was the exact processor that was in my MOBO. Both processor are INTEL 560 SLA2D / 2.13 /1M /533 . My motherboard processor slot is a mPGA478MN and it's reddish pink slot Do you know if this is the correct processor ?

darrelllackey

Distinguished
Sep 15, 2011
Well today my RAM came in and much to my surprise I put the 1 GB of in the system and it works now....whew.... I am so glad that it is fixed. I didn't think it was the RAM because it had 2 stick in it of ram and I already switched them and from there assumed that it wasn't the RAM. Now that I got this Laptop running I see that the last person who had it installed Windows 7 Ultimate on a Vista (factored) Laptop and there is a logo on the bottom that say's that This copy of Windows is not genuine. So I guess I need to reinstall Windows Vista on the PC. Thank For all your help.

thetechshop

Honorable
Jun 29, 2012
I have an Acer Aspire 5315 - ICL50 and was not getting any video. After trying some of the suggestions on here it looks the first ram port was bad. Why this would cause no video at all? Why do laptops not have a normal beep code or something like that?

itzdanielp

Distinguished
Aug 23, 2011
Generally you should open a new thread for a problem, instead of hijacking a long dead thread...

But, on that machine your graphics processing is done using shared memory. It uses the RAM as the graphics memory. If the RAM is bad, the graphics controller has no memory to use, therefore no video output.

G

try the ram i had the similar problem and the ram was mine