Acer Aspire 5741 No power or lights

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Guide community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

bryce1733

Honorable
Feb 11, 2012
Hi im new to these forms but was hoping to get some help with my acer aspire 5741. The laptop is completely apart, and im pretty technical. when plugged in and/or with battery in there is now power, no lights, nothing. I checked the Power jack and i am getting 19 volts coming through. normally when plugged in a light comes on, but there is no light. the power brick is green and the laptop is getting power through the dc jack. i am really stuck on this and dont want to buy a new laptop. what should i do?

Hi :)

This is my last comment on this thread as I could be using my time helping others who actually LISTEN...

I already told you...you check EVERYTHING !

Thats every part

Thats every track on the mobo

Thats every connection for resistance

etc etc etc.....

EVERYTHING....

All the best Brett :)

bryce1733

Honorable
Feb 11, 2012
ok brett one last question, can you direct me to a forum where people will help me fix my problem, not just tell me to take it in to a shop?

if anyone else is reading this some help would be greatly appreciated.

twstd1

Distinguished
Nov 26, 2008
I was just reading through and thought the same thing as bryce. Brett928s2 if you really are a certified electrical repair man why don't you give him some pointers on where to check next. From what I see you don't know jack. If your really a certified PC repair man then you should absolutely know what to check. Unless your not really that good at your job. I'm currently studying Computer Engineering and I do know that enough to say that you should be able to guide him but instead your being a total jackass. Also if the only cert you have is you A+ cert then your absolutely no good to this kid anyway. Bryce I'm just taking a shot in the dark but have you tried testing voltage at the battery charge points? Take the batt. out and test to see if you can get any voltage through the board at all. I've heard that sometimes this test can tell you if you have a bad board or not but it's not 100% accurate. It depends on the way the power pathways are laid out. I really whish I knew more but I'm afraid that I haven't made it through digital devices just yet. Maybe if you could wait another year until I graduate then I could help a little more? sorry man but if I were you I'd just go somewhere else.

bryce1733

Honorable
Feb 11, 2012
twstd1 thank you so much, someone whos trying to help. i tested the voltages were the battery connects and there is current there. i have 3.3 volts at various points on the board, which is the standby voltage needed for the laptop to power up. what concerns me is that a light should be coming on when there is power connected to the laptop, and ive checked and power is coming in at the dc jack, but i dont know what else to check from there to see why its not going through. i have somebody that i do work for repairing xboxs and he runs a pc repair shop so i am gonna go talk to him, but computer repair is crazy expensive so i would prefer to do it myself. that being said im kinda at the point were im just gonna pay the 150 dollars or whatever it costs to get it fixxed, but im still looking at my options.

twstd1

Distinguished
Nov 26, 2008
Well if your gonna pay that much just get it checked out why don't you just buy a new mobo and put it in yourself? If I were in your shoes that's what I would do. Why pay somebody to tell you what I'm sure we already know when you could buy a new mobo and replace it yourself? The only thing that sucks is that your windows will not work anymore because of the new mobo so I hope you have your own copy. I can't tell you for sure that it's the mobo but I'm pretty sure it is. I've heard that acers seem to have a lot of problems in that area.

twstd1

Distinguished
Nov 26, 2008
Also how old is your laptop? I'd try getting a replacement CMOS battery and trying that before anything else. And also that way you know you have a good CMOS batt for the replacement mobo if you have to get one, lol.

cobra1423

Honorable
Mar 27, 2012
ok i know this problem and its a very easy fix put the laptop top back together because there is nothing wrong with it lol.

step 1 leave out the power charger and take out the battery leave for 10 mins

step 2 press the power button for more than 20 secs

step 3 only put the battrey back in and press the power button until you see the light for the battery starting to flash KEEP HOLDONG THE POWER BUTTON IN DO NOT RELEASE IT and plug the power cable back in let go of the power button and watch it spring back into life.

ps. lets hope this done the trick

adil95

Honorable
Jul 2, 2012

okay so this totally worked for me....what was the problem??? I just don't understand what holding the button down accomplished...

ddanberger

Honorable
Jan 18, 2013

Hi there cobra1423, I am having the same problem with an Acer Aspire 5750. I had to resolder the DC jack, I checked it, it booted up, now, nothing. I am at this time charging the battery because it was dead. When it is charged, I will try this, if it doesnt work, any other suggestions?

klip

Honorable
Jul 24, 2013

WOW. I own a computer repair shop, I have many many credentials, I own multiple business, logistics brokerage, sports bar, marketing company, and you are a real ass hole This kid wants to fix his computer, get the fuck off your high horse and help him or shut up. Kid, keep doing what you do, ignore people like this, just because he's older than you, he's probably jealous his business is doing poorly and you know more than he did at your age.

matthew1967

Honorable
Sep 3, 2013
Good call cobra. I owned a pc shop and im older. But this other guy just probably doesn't know anything, but thinks he does.hehe. good pc work is learned by doing. school sucks!

jst76532

Honorable
Sep 15, 2013

Hi Guys

I am having the same problem and tried this solution which didnt work for me

I have 2 questions

At step 3 should I have released the power button and try and put in the battery and then keep holding the button
or do I relase the button after having depressed for more than 20 seconds (I had it down for at least 30 seconds) and then replace the battery and press down the button

Question 2
If this still does not work should I get a new Battery

Thanks in anticipation for any help

jst76532

Honorable
Sep 15, 2013
Guys

A follow up to my previous message
I decided to do some more work on this and ended up taking out the RAM chips replaced them making sure they were seated well and it all works now

Hope this helps someone

Status
Not open for further replies.