Solved! Acer Aspire E15-522 Restarting On Its Own Randomly - Please Help

Aug 6, 2019
I have had an Acer E15-522 Laptop now for about close to 3 years and just about a few months ago it started randomly restarting on it's own

The Bios and Everthing is up to date, I uninstalled Acer Portal the only thing I have installed is the Care Center from Acer.

My Laptop is stationary plugged into a 37 Inch TV and I have the laptop always closed but sitting on like a cooling fan.

I was playing "Second Life" a virtually reality game when it happened today and I have checked with CanIRunIt.com to make sure this laptop could handle it before I installed it and it can

I should also state my laptop makes a odd sound before restarting on it's own, that I have it sitting on a laptop cooling fan and a room with an air conditioner that's always set on 23 and 22 when I sleep (down numbers is colder)

So any help would be greatfully appreciate

Solution
Then the computer is ON, not off. If you are using it, at all, in any way, it is on. Not powered off.

The display can be off, usually they turn off when closed, but the laptop is actually on. There is no way around it, the laptop is ON.

Now what you are referring to, it restarting, that can happen for dozens of reasons. The system could have gotten an update. A program or two could have updated. You could have a virus, malware, bad program, etc. on the laptop is that the cause. There are a lot of reasons for it to do that. So unless there is an actual problem, virus, malware, bad program, hardware issue, etc., it restarting could be something it needs to do. Especially if due to say an update.

Additionally, leaving it on all the time...
Aug 6, 2019
Yes I'm sure of this as it has happened while playing a game I will use this for instance below

Maybe about a month ago my husband and I were playing Perfect World International and we were at Archosar (laggy city)

Anyways we were on in the game for about 2 Hours or more then just after we got there BAM
BEEEEEEEEEP Sound then my laptop restarting on it's own (its a long beep sound)

This has happened even with watching Netflix I was watching "Friends" i will say for instance and it just restarted on it's own i don't remember for 100% or not if it made the beep that time but that was about a few weeks ago.

I took an Canned Air to bottom of the vents last night and blew it out with that, Very little dust came from doing that.
I bought a Different Laptop Cooling with a bigger fan underneath instead of the 2 smaller one's I had underneath it.

But I would like a permenet fix for this not something temporary

Aug 6, 2019
What you are saying doesn't quite make sense. You are saying your laptop is 'off' but you have it connected to a TV and are playing games on the computer via the TV? At least that is what it sounded like.

No I don't think you understand

My Laptop is always powered top
My Laptop Lid is always closed
It is always sitting on a Laptop Cooling Fan
It is always hoocked up to my TV via HDMI
I use my TV as a Monitor

I have a wireless Keyboard and Mouse that plugged into two USB ports and the Laptop Cooling Fan plugged into one

My laptop never gets touched or anything unless I power it off and take it to get it looked at

Then I will wrap it in a blanket put it in my backpack and walk carefully with it as I lost the carrying case that came with it

So when I load up for instance Perfect World International it will show up on my TV and I can play it that way

Now if I were to open the lid to the laptop to see the laptop monitor I would see that game on both the Laptop and TV

Does that make sense now?

Last edited:
Then the computer is ON, not off. If you are using it, at all, in any way, it is on. Not powered off.

The display can be off, usually they turn off when closed, but the laptop is actually on. There is no way around it, the laptop is ON.

Now what you are referring to, it restarting, that can happen for dozens of reasons. The system could have gotten an update. A program or two could have updated. You could have a virus, malware, bad program, etc. on the laptop is that the cause. There are a lot of reasons for it to do that. So unless there is an actual problem, virus, malware, bad program, hardware issue, etc., it restarting could be something it needs to do. Especially if due to say an update.

Additionally, leaving it on all the time (which is what you would be doing if you keep it running but close the lid, external keyboard, mouse and TV for monitor or not) will use up the laptops resources, which can also lead to it having to shut itself down due to a problem from the lack of resources.

To avoid the issue I would suggest checking the computer for any of the things listed above (viruses, etc.) and then don't leave it powered on all the time. Computers need to be rebooted /turned off regularly to regain resources. Just closing a program doesn't get them all back.

Solution
Aug 6, 2019
I restart the laptop every Friday Morning around 5:00am I will go down into start menu then restart the laptop

I have checked under update history of windows update and there has never been anything updated on the dates it has restarted on it's own

I have that set for it to remind me to restart it

I don't turn my laptop off just so that its easier for me not to have to open the lid to start it up again, what do you suggest maybe restarting it twice a week instead of one?

I took it to a computer shop today and as soon the tech turned it on his exact word

"Get rid of McAfee, Any Programs from Iobit.com like the Advanced system care, All Acer apps there obsolete"

That those should make a huge difference as there using a lot of resources and if that doesn't fix it to reformat the hd and reinstall with a USB or CD with the Windows iOS on it.

Well when I got home I uninstalled McAfee and ran the removal tool and omg did I see a difference from how fast my laptop restarted to loading images in a game.

My game had almost froze up and I think the laptop was going restart at one point but I think it corrected itself it could also be I turned that off in the start up settings not sure which honestly.

But I'm glad I'm going downloaded the iOS to the thumbstick in a few and do what he told me to do and install windows the way he said

And hopefully this will be a permanent fix
I will keep you updated also any advice keep coming as it is helpful

Last edited:
Programs that run in the background (like the ones he mentioned to you) do use a lot of resources and they tend to be set up to start automatically when the computer starts Windows, so that would already lower what you have available to use.

While personally I wouldn't go so far as to redo the entire system (not unless totally necessary) it will get you back to a better starting point. Just remember to be careful where you download anything from. Programs, drivers, etc. Just because a site is there doesn't mean the stuff on it is safe.

Aug 6, 2019
Should I get rid of every acer program like he said ? I haven't done that yet as I had some people tell me not to then others who have ..... so confused as what to do.

I only download what I play or really use

He was even quite impressed I dont even use even half of the 500gb harddrive.

Aug 6, 2019
Another question: He told me all I need is Melwarebytes not anything else as far as protecting against Trojans, Viruses and everything

Is that true or should I have something g like AVG Free installed or something else??

I only have the free version of Melwarebytes and forgot to tell him as he does will get a the paid ones for $30.00 a year.

I am going to assume you mean Malwarebytes. They are all similar. Different ones work differently. AVG I think has had a problem with Windows systems (issue between the companies) however those don't cover everything. Most programs cover either viruses or malware, but usually not both. So you would need a program for each. Most free versions are fine.

Aug 6, 2019
Nope the lowest I have seen it go is with 3 after running CCleaner and Disk Cleanup

Though I have never done a Format of HD and Re Install of Windows by USB or CD on the 3 years I had had this laptop

I have done this when re doing my windows below

Will go into settings - Recovery then Advanced Start up then doing all the options then I will pick the one that says about this 'Only Use if Recycling PC or selling it" something along those lines

That I have been doing since this year and previous years I was doing the one above it

Last edited:
When Firefox isn't running it should not list in acvie programs. Try launching it without add-ons and see if it shows only one. Note: I am talking about just loading a typical site. Not games or videos, etc. Those will add to it as well. Otherwise I wouldn't worry about it. It is pretty common.