Acer Aspire E15 HDD not keeping in place

SirCat

Estimable
Jul 26, 2014
So long story short, you can't screw your HDD, it's only hold by some plastic tabs in place as shown here. Thing is, these tabs are not exactly in place and since I move my laptop a lot, the HDD ends up getting disconnected (there's quite a gap between the tabs and the HDD). Any idea how to fix this? Thinking of filling the blank with some paper or sticking the HDD with tape but I'm not sure how that'd go since it'll heat up when in use.

Thanks.

Solution
hard disks usually don't reach 40°c, mostly they will run at 30°c

the paper will not burn, if you don't feel it is secure enough, change it for a piece of plastic or rubber, any other material, except any metallic object

don't apply too much pressure

you can also use ductape on the connector iself, over the plastic part, but the paper is easier

another option is buy the cover for the hard disk, if yours got broken it is a definitive fix

atljsf

Estimable
Jun 17, 2015
use those and also put something to keep it on place, a piece of plastic or rubber to avoid it comming out, if it doesn't have a screw to keep it locked on place

usually you put paper, plastico or rubber on the other side where the sata connectors go

SirCat

Estimable
Jul 26, 2014

I used some magazine paper, it's completely safe, right? I fear it'd burn

atljsf

Estimable
Jun 17, 2015
hard disks usually don't reach 40°c, mostly they will run at 30°c

the paper will not burn, if you don't feel it is secure enough, change it for a piece of plastic or rubber, any other material, except any metallic object

don't apply too much pressure

you can also use ductape on the connector iself, over the plastic part, but the paper is easier

another option is buy the cover for the hard disk, if yours got broken it is a definitive fix

Solution

jmontegro

Prominent
Oct 4, 2017

I had the same problem, you must buy this from Acer. https://us-store.acer.com/42-gden7-sv1

The guy from the video later suggest this "NOTE: - If you want to install a hard drive, I've learned there is actually a HDD caddy that does not come with the laptop, but that Acer will provide for free if you call and asked

Part Number: 42.GDEN7.002
Description: HDD Support Holder Assy
Hub Ref: TAU223025
ECCN: EAR99
Harmonize Code: 8473.30.5100

Call Acer Customer Support at (866) 695-2237 and ask for the above part number before you install a hard drive!"

mbguy1

Distinguished
Aug 3, 2014
I made a caddy for my acer using this part number 42.GDEN7.002 . I designed one on my ed printer and it fits and works perfectly securely holding the drive in place. Get back to me, I can probably get you one.