Acer Aspire E3-111 is not recognizing any wireless networks

mjwex55

Estimable
Nov 15, 2014
Hi,

My daughter's Acer Aspire E3-111 is all of a sudden not recognizing any available wireless networks. It is running Windows 8.1. I made sure it is not running in airplane mode. I am out of ideas. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks!

Warukyure

Estimable
Go into network and sharing centre, go to manage network adapters and does your wireless adapter show up there? Are you sure you didn't disable wireless with any type of key combination? (such as FN+F4 or whatever)

mjwex55

Estimable
Nov 15, 2014

No, the adapter does not show up there either. I am not sure if my daughter may have accidentally disabled the wireless by pushing any kind of key combinations.

Warukyure

Estimable
Yeah look on your keyboard there should be a Wireless Button try hitting that, and seeing if it turns back on. Another thing to try is go under Device manager to see if it can still list the wireless device and see if its Working/Not Working/Disabled.

Last thing, depending on how old the laptop is or how much it was worth, one thing you can always do is buy a cheap $15 Wireless dongle.

mjwex55

Estimable
Nov 15, 2014

I found the button, and I turned it on and off, and that did nothing.

I did go to device manager, and I found the wireless network adapter, and under device status it says this:
"Windows cannot verify the digital signature for the drivers required for this device. A recent hardware or software change might have installed a file that is signed incorrectly or damaged, or that might be malicious software from an unknown source. (Code 52)"

Any ideas here?

mjwex55

Estimable
Nov 15, 2014

I have restarted the computer many times now. Definitely not the solution in this case.

I also ran a malware scan on the computer that turned up no issues.

Is uninstalling the driver for the wireless adapter and re-installing it a good option?