Solved! Acer Aspire E5-575 soda spill

Mar 4, 2019
My Mom and Dad were working on this laptop and spilled some soda on the touchpad and some on the keyboard. They told me that they turned it off (good) wiped it off with a towel (good) but then tried turning it back on soon after (bad) and the keyboard lit up then turned off. They asked me what to do and I had them unplug it and keep it off. I opened the laptop and flipped it over hoping to let it dry more. After 24 hours I tried turning it on and the keyboard lit up but then immediately turns off. The screen doesn't light up and I don't hear any fans or anything starting up so I'm worried damage was done when they turned it on shortly after the spill. The laptop is out of warranty and I had read that I could try to turn it on without the battery in case that was the issue so I unscrewed the back and unplugged the battery and tried turning it on by plugging it in without the battery, but the same thing happened with the keyboard lights.

Is there a next step I should try or should I just be concerned with saving their data?

Solution
Well, with soda or any other sticky liquid, just letting it dry isn't enough. After the initial drying, which should be days (depending on how much liquid) and should be with it open and all power removed (no plug or battery).

Once dry, with something like this, you then need to clean it out to remove all the sticky residue. Once that is done, it needs time again to dry out.

However, if yours is acting up and it has been powered up (even if not working) numerous times now, then I would take it to a local tech and see if they can salvage it.

You may get lucky.

In the future I would suggest no drinks by the laptop. :)
Well, with soda or any other sticky liquid, just letting it dry isn't enough. After the initial drying, which should be days (depending on how much liquid) and should be with it open and all power removed (no plug or battery).

Once dry, with something like this, you then need to clean it out to remove all the sticky residue. Once that is done, it needs time again to dry out.

However, if yours is acting up and it has been powered up (even if not working) numerous times now, then I would take it to a local tech and see if they can salvage it.

You may get lucky.

In the future I would suggest no drinks by the laptop. :)

Solution