Acer Aspire M frozen on Acer screen

vjm007

Honorable
Aug 8, 2013
When i start it up, it is stuck on ACER logo screen. F8 and ctrl alt delete dont help.

Time for geek squad??
Thanks

Solution
If this is a new Acer laptop with Windows 8, it might just be a hard drive failure. I recently bought a very low-end Acer laptop (Aspire E1-571-6888) with an Intel CPU, and after a week it stopped booting. It stayed at the logo for a long time, if I waited a few hours sometimes I would get the message that there was no boot device, or that Windows 8 had problems, or that Windows 8 was trying to do a restore. I returned it to the store and got a replacement. About 16 days later (one day after the 15-day return window expired), it too began to hang up on the Acer logo. Not wanting to deal with Acer tech support (if I could even find a phone number for them), spend $25 shipping it back, and wait four weeks to get it back from repair...

mbreslin1954

Distinguished
Nov 27, 2010
If this is a new Acer laptop with Windows 8, it might just be a hard drive failure. I recently bought a very low-end Acer laptop (Aspire E1-571-6888) with an Intel CPU, and after a week it stopped booting. It stayed at the logo for a long time, if I waited a few hours sometimes I would get the message that there was no boot device, or that Windows 8 had problems, or that Windows 8 was trying to do a restore. I returned it to the store and got a replacement. About 16 days later (one day after the 15-day return window expired), it too began to hang up on the Acer logo. Not wanting to deal with Acer tech support (if I could even find a phone number for them), spend $25 shipping it back, and wait four weeks to get it back from repair, I took a chance and replaced the hard drive with a spare I had. Problem solved! So I spent the $50 myself on the replacement hard drive and called it a day.

But yeah, it sounds like it might be the hard drive. A way to test if you don't have a spare 2.5" HDD to replace it with is to see if you can boot it from a boot DVD/CD, either a Windows install disk or a Linux boot disk. If it does boot, then see if you can "see" your hard drive. Odds are you won't be able to because it is dead.

Solution