Solved! Acer Aspire V won't turn on & has blinking black screen

Status
Not open for further replies.
Mar 24, 2018
I have an Acer Aspire V and since my laptop did a Microsoft Outlook update and did the usual automatic updates when I turned the laptop off (February/March 2018), it has problems turning on.

Sometimes it will turn on and sometimes it wont turn on.

I find that if I leave it on, I have no issues besides functioning really slow in Microsoft Word with editing pictures.

Today it wont turn on, the blue light stays on, I can hear the fan, and the page is blinking different shades of black.

I have tried taking out the battery and disconnecting the power cord and holding the power button from 30-60secs. Reconnect everything and press power button, but still wont work. I tried the above again holding the power button and F12, still did not work.

In another thread someone said to try F2, F9, F10 and enter. I tried holding all at once, I tried pressing them independently, and then I tried holding F2 F9 F10 together and then pressing enter. Nothing worked.

I remember having a similar issues a couple of years ago when I upgraded to windows 10, so I assume it is a windows update issue. I wish I could find the thread again that helped me to turn the computer on.

Solution
If there are lights and internal sounds, it is actually on. Then the display is the issue.

Try this...

1. Turn the laptop off (not sleep or hibernate but off).
2. Connect an external monitor to the laptop.
3. Turn on the external monitor.
4. Turn on the laptop.

NOTE: You may have to press an "external monitor" button. Could be the f4 button or a button with two monitors on it, for the external monitor to work.

If you can see fine on the external monitor, then your attached display, or the ribbon cable that connects it, are your problem.

If you can't see on the external monitor at all, or the problem occurs on the external monitor as well, then it is probably the graphics card/GPU that is the problem, which may require the...
If there are lights and internal sounds, it is actually on. Then the display is the issue.

Try this...

1. Turn the laptop off (not sleep or hibernate but off).
2. Connect an external monitor to the laptop.
3. Turn on the external monitor.
4. Turn on the laptop.

NOTE: You may have to press an "external monitor" button. Could be the f4 button or a button with two monitors on it, for the external monitor to work.

If you can see fine on the external monitor, then your attached display, or the ribbon cable that connects it, are your problem.

If you can't see on the external monitor at all, or the problem occurs on the external monitor as well, then it is probably the graphics card/GPU that is the problem, which may require the motherboard be replaced.

Solution
Status
Not open for further replies.