Question Acer Aspire v3-574g keyboard not working.

Oct 9, 2021
Suddenly my laptop keyboard has gone crazy. None of the keys
work except function and fn keys, even they are not working
at all times. However if i press and hold fntesc key i can
type almost normally with some stutter. Also fn fuctions like
brighness control, volume control, keyboard backlight etc. Are
working partially, sometimes they are working sometimes they
arent.
So far I have tried the following,

1. Updating, uninstallling and reinstalling the keyboard drivers
from device manager.

2. Registry editor fix, changing the value of start from 3 to 1

3. Booting into ubuntu live cd, same problem behaves in
similar way

4. Updating bios, however there is no newer version of the bios
than the one I already had, but still went ahead and reflashed
ie

5. Safeboot mode, same problem

6. Basic fixes mentioned on the internet like turning on/off
sticky keys, filter keys etc.

None of the above worked.

Now the situation,

1. I didnt install/downloaded any new software/drivers or
anything. One minute it was working fine and then it wasnt.

2. The laptop is quite old about 5 years. And is running
windows 10 19H1.

3. The laptop does have a dead battery problem which i havent
been able to solve due to hectic schedule and | require my
laptop at almost all times.

4. I did not have a external keyboard to check if that behaves
in the same way. However i did use an android app to use the
phone as a keyboard via bluetooth and that worked fine. On
screen keyboard works fine.

Is there anything else I can try or is my laptop keyboard dead?

Odds are the problem is hardware. Booting Ubuntu took all the software out of the picture (except the BIOS). The keyboard associated hardware is mostly on the keyboard assembly, but there is an interconnect cable or plug and interface hardware on the motherboard. I would check the interconnection visually and then try a replacement keyboard. They are not terribly expensive. Make sure you follow the Acer service manual--especially the precautions regarding ESD. Let us know if you get it fixed and what you had to do please

Oct 9, 2021
Odds are the problem is hardware. Booting Ubuntu took all the software out of the picture (except the BIOS). The keyboard associated hardware is mostly on the keyboard assembly, but there is an interconnect cable or plug and interface hardware on the motherboard. I would check the interconnection visually and then try a replacement keyboard. They are not terribly expensive. Make sure you follow the Acer service manual--especially the precautions regarding ESD. Let us know if you get it fixed and what you had to do please
Hello, thank you for your answer, I tried to open the laptop to check the connections, unfortunately I couldn't understand which one was the keyboard one, so I decided to open and replug all the connectors. After which i did some cleaning with vacuum cleaner and now my display is gone. I m not getting any display. I tried reseating all the connectors again but still nothing on the display. Now i cant understand whether the keyboard got fixed or i botched the display as well. 😔

Did you follow the steps in the service manual? Did you take ESD precautions? That is very important. Using a vacuum is a very bad thing to do as it creates lots of static electricity. Unfortunately, you may have destroyed some off the electronic parts inside.

Oct 9, 2021
Did you follow the steps in the service manual? Did you take ESD precautions? That is very important. Using a vacuum is a very bad thing to do as it creates lots of static electricity. Unfortunately, you may have destroyed some off the electronic parts inside.

Oh man. I did take precautions for ESD, but i dunno how well it worked. Can you please tell me failure of what components may lead to failure of display? Coz my laptop turns on fan spins and i dont get anything on the display.

Last edited: