Acer Aspire v7-581pg Overheating & Throttling

sivrup

Estimable
May 21, 2015
My Acer is around 1.5 years old now and has always struggled with overheating causing me to have to use ThrottleStop. Whilst ThrottleStop solves the problem of the throttling, recently i've been seeing massive performance drops when gaming. I only get 20-30fps on csgo now when i used to run at a constant 60-70.

I've already tried maintaining the inside of my laptop by cleaning the dust out and reapplying thermal paste on the cpu but these don't seem to have had any effect. I also have reinstalled windows today but that seems to have not helped either.

I'm just looking for advice on what to do next or any ideas that people may have to try.

Aspire v7-581pg
Intel i7-3537u
Nvidia GT720m

Thanks.

Solution
You have a 2 year old entry level GPU combined with one of Intel's low powered U CPUs. This is not a great combination for gaming.

When a U CPU enters its low TDP Level, the multiplier will drop and get locked to 8 so the CPU will only be running at about 798 MHz. Gaming will become sluggish and there isn't much you can do about that. This is not temperature related. These CPUs enter the low TDP Level based on power consumption. ThrottleStop can help a little bit but there is only so much it can do. There are multiple levels of throttling built into the CPU and the chipset. ThrottleStop cannot access the chipset throttling. You might have to under clock your CPU to reduce power consumption. This can help prevent your CPU...

sivrup

Estimable
May 21, 2015
Yeah i did but i'm not sure if i did a good job. After comparing fps between dedicated GPU vs intergrated, it seems i get more on intergrated. Could it be the GPU overheating and clocking down?

Could be. You need to monitor actual gpu temps to find out.

unclewebb

Distinguished
Sep 11, 2007
You have a 2 year old entry level GPU combined with one of Intel's low powered U CPUs. This is not a great combination for gaming.

When a U CPU enters its low TDP Level, the multiplier will drop and get locked to 8 so the CPU will only be running at about 798 MHz. Gaming will become sluggish and there isn't much you can do about that. This is not temperature related. These CPUs enter the low TDP Level based on power consumption. ThrottleStop can help a little bit but there is only so much it can do. There are multiple levels of throttling built into the CPU and the chipset. ThrottleStop cannot access the chipset throttling. You might have to under clock your CPU to reduce power consumption. This can help prevent your CPU doing the big nose dive into the low TDP Level.

For gaming, avoid the U. They are a disaster and are not intended for consistent performance.

ThrottleStop 8.00 beta 2
https://www.sendspace.com/file/b4oure

Check your Nvidia GPU temperatures. This GPU is poor but it performs better than the Intel GPU. Using the Nvidia GPU will free up a couple of watts so the Intel CPU can run faster, longer.

Solution