Acer ES-511 won't start - screen remains black

tnbagwell

Commendable
Aug 18, 2016
The screen went to sleep...not unusual. But it wouldn't come back on. I powered it off and back on and the power light comes on and I can hear the fan, but I don't hear it accessing the hard drive. I tried holding down the power button for several minutes, but no change. No beeps and nothing at all on the screen. I also do not see the laptop listed as connected to my home network.

Most of the suggestions I've seen involve removing the battery but this model doesn't have an easily accessible battery, so disassembly would be required.

Model ES1-511-C59V

Any suggestions as to anything else I can try before I have to pay someone to fix it, or replace it?

Try this. Turn off the laptop, attach an external monitor. Turn on the external monitor and then turn on the laptop.

Can you see the system on the external monitor? If so, then the problem is with the attached display. It could be the display itself, or it could be the ribbon cable inside. You can open it up and check to make sure the cable isn't pinched, bent, loose, disconnected, etc. If that isn't the case, then you probably need to replace the display.

Now if you still can't see anything, even on an external monitor, then your graphics card may be shot and need replacing.

tnbagwell

Commendable
Aug 18, 2016

Nothing on the external monitor, and although the fan runs, I never hear the hard drive start.