Acer Laptop Crashes Wifi Network

Status
Not open for further replies.

Zishzu

Commendable
Oct 6, 2016
Hi,

I've been searching the internet for an answer to my solution but no luck yet. I have Shaw internet and it uses a modem/router combo (Mfg = Hitron). My wifi works normally but OFTEN when I turn on my new Acer Windows 10 laptop and it connects to the Wifi, it shuts down the Wifi signal... and the 2.4G and 5G networks no longer work.

NO other device can connect to the router via wifi once the wifi goes down. The internet from the router still works if I connect via ethernet though.

The only way to get the wifi to work again is to unplug the power from router, wait 10 seconds, and then plug it back in and wait for it to power up again.

I've tried changing the Hitron modem/router 3 times already.

I've tried going into Device Manager > Network Adapter > right click on the Wireless Adapter > Properties > Power Management > uncheck box “allow the computer to turn off this device to save power” > OK.... did NOT work

I've tried connecting an ethernet from the router to the laptop directly but that also doesn't stop the wifi from shutting down.

Anyone else experience this problem and have a solution?

Thank you !

In device manager have you tried uninstalling, rebooting and then reinstalling your WiFi card on the laptop? Also the same for the drivers.

You may also want to try doing a reset of the modem/router. That isn't just turning it on and off. If you have access to the routers settings, you should be able to locate a reset option in there.

If none of this works, it may well be the modem/router needs replacing.

Zishzu

Commendable
Oct 6, 2016

Hi, thanks for the suggestion. I tried uninstalled and reinstalling the WiFi driver but I still got the error. And this is my 3rd Hitron modem/router and I still get the issue. Maybe I need to try another modem/router manufacturer?

Zishzu

Commendable
Oct 6, 2016

Hi. Thanks for replying. The laptop is pretty new. Also, if there was an issue with my WiFi card, why would that shut down my routers wifi for the whole house?

Zishzu

Commendable
Oct 6, 2016

Hi, I have tried resetting the modem. I even got it replaced twice and this is the 3rd Hitron modem.

Larry37

Commendable
Nov 7, 2016

exact same issue - Acer Swift 3, Windows 10, Shaw internet with Hitron router. - Any luck with a resolution?

Larry37

Commendable
Nov 7, 2016

The router was working fine for two months prior to the arrival of the new laptop. It was able to handle at least 25 different wifi devices simultaneously with no issues - only the addition of the Acer Swift 3 running windows 10, Atheros wifi card, caused the failures.

Other sites indicate there is an IP conflict that I need to resolve or that the offending laptop is sending too many spurious requests causing the router to shut down thinking it was under going DoS attack.

This is wifi only - all devices connected via LAN continue to function normally.

That is really odd, as the card should not be doing anything that is causing this. Unless there is a problem with the WiFi card itself. Which is possible. If the laptop is under warranty, you may want to contact the manufacturer about a repair or replacement.

That said, have you tried removing the WiFi connection from the laptop completely and then reconnecting it?

Also, have you tried using the laptop on another WiFi connection, and did it cause the same problem? If so, then I would really look at the WiFi card being the issue. If it doesn't happen on another WiFi then I am at a loss, unless it is a combination of problems.

Hans-Christiaan

Commendable
Nov 19, 2016
Hi I have exact the same issue, been arround for a lot of years in the ICT but it seems this problem has no logical answer for so far..

I have done these " routine " tricks:
- reinstall wifi card driver
- installed a updated wifi driver
- reinstalled the modem
- changed wifi channel
- turned off the energy safe option on the wifi card

other pc's and laptops are working fine on this network only when the acer laptop is on the wifi the whole network shuts down in a couple of seconds and the sitecom router need to be plugged off the power and on again before reconnecting.
looked for any firmware update for the sitecom 300N router but there was none.
and can not update windows because it; only can go online for such a short time.

i can reinstalling windows but i think i cannot fix the problem by doing that.....anyone have any idea's??

thanks from chris

Larry37

Commendable
Nov 7, 2016
We went through troubleshooting with both our ISP and Acer with no luck - returned the computer and bought one that uses a different Wifi card. Our ISP, Shaw, did have notes on file saying there were 'issues' with the Atheros wifi card and the Hitron router but they didn't provide details.
what er did that DID NOT work was:
full factory reset on router
reset connection from ISP side
reserved IP for the computer
manually set channel preference
on the computer:
released/reset the IP
reinstalled wifi card driver
turned off the hardware randomization option in windows

I found reference for a dirmware update for the Hitron router, not specific to this issue but asked if Shaw could push this through manually but they said that it was only on a schedule for those devices that needed it and my firmware was the latest version.

Gotta love when they don't take responsibility for problems. If you are paying a fee every month for that router, or purchased it from them, then they should fix it or get you a better one. I wonder if they have other ones that will work with their system, or if you can even get your own (purchase) that will work with their internet so you can avoid that brands issues.

gnickturner

Prominent
Sep 23, 2017
I suffered for years with this issue. Googling many times. At long last I found a solution that took less than 5 minutes to implement.
Problem statement:
Home WIFI works great with Dell Laptop, iPads, Phone, TV and Satellite box. When using my work provided Lenovo Laptop after a period of 5 to 30 minutes the home WIFI is reduced to a trickle (for example: 0.2Mbps up and 0.07 down) or a complete halt. This laptop works fine on office and coffee shop WIFI. So, is it the router, the laptop or how they work together that is the issue?
When I used my smartphone mobile hotspot I do not have that issue.
Removing the Lenovo from the WIFI network solves the connection problem for all other devices within a minute or two.
After retiring I purchased a new Lenovo lap top and that has the same issue. So, is it a Lenovo problem? Well the Dell had an update and it started doing the same thing.
The work laptop was Win7. The Dell and new Lenovo are Win10.
Drilling into the issue:
ISP tech support had a few suggestions that did not work. Lenovo support forums provided nothing of help except “make sure the drivers are up to date”.
Most Google searches suggested 2 solutions both of which failed: updating laptop drivers and changing the WIFI Channel used on the router.
The solution that worked:
Eventually Google searches came up with a solution that worked for me. It is the WIFI “mode”. The router supports 802.11b/g/n – the Laptops 802.11a/b/g. So I simply set the router and laptops to the overlapping modes only: 802.11 b/g.

hari06881

Prominent
Dec 3, 2017
Hii there, I’m using a Asus laptop...i’m facing the same problem...but after reading all of your views..... I tried something different and I changed my network profile from “Private” to Public.....I don’t know how but its working correctly.

Status
Not open for further replies.