Acer Laptop - No Display on LCD and external TV

rhydiansmith

Distinguished
Apr 20, 2010
Hi
A few months ago, I stood on my Acer Aspire 5720 and cracked the screen. Everything worked fine, there was just a big annoying crack on the screen. I took the screen out, and continued to use it on an external VGA TV with no problems.
Then, I just left it laying around for a few months. I recently bought a new LCD screen and fitted it, but the laptop showed no display. There are fans spinning and the display flashes for about 1/10th of a second. I tried connecting it to my TV, and there was still no display.
I have noticed that the ribbon cable for the LCD has gold pins missing, but I'm not sure if it's supposed to be like that. Plus, would that affect the external display? It shouldn't.
The laptop has no HDD, but I'm sure that doesn't prevent it from booting and showing a display. I can't even get to the BIOS screen.
Another thing I've noticed is that the DVD drive refuses to open. The light on it stays on, and it will not open.

Do any of these problems have solutions? What can I do?

Thanks.

Right, when it was first broken. But the rest worked. So it follows pretty logically, things worked before you did the screen replacement, did not after, so the screen replacement is pretty likely to be the cause of the issues. Maybe you got a bad screen, or did something while installing it, or something is shorted out, etc...

According you you it was: "I took the screen out, and continued to use it on an external VGA TV with no problems. " And then you said you fitted the new display and the external one did not work then. Or did you write that wrong? Did you try the external display first without the screen again, it did not work, and you installed the new one and it still did not work?

Either way, sounds like a tech needs to go over the laptop, check the motherboard, display connections, cost will probably be about the same as a new laptop.

You can try to reset the BIOS on the thing also, take out the CMOS battery for a bit, see if that helps any. I'd try it again without the new display. The disk not opening is pretty common, it should pop-out if you use a pin in the open hole.