Acer Laptop Only Works Without Battery! Why? Is My Laptop Dead?

Kryptonian

Commendable
Feb 2, 2017
Hi everyone,

Last night, when I turned on my laptop, it entered into a constant rebooting phase. I promptly removed the battery, unplugged the cable, and held the power key for a minute. When I placed the battery back inside, I experienced the same issue of the rebooting loop, where the Acer logo would appear, and then it restarted. However, when I only used the charge cable, no battery connected, the laptop works as well as it did before.

Is my laptop dead? Does it need a new battery? I currently use this laptop for school and writing projects. I am in the process of backing up all of my files. I just wanted to know if there was something else that could be done, because I don't have the money for another laptop. Finally, if anyone could tell me why this is happening that would be awesome. I haven't mishandled my laptop and my only problem before this is that it took a little while longer to boot up, around 90-120 seconds.

Thanks to everyone who can help.

Solution
It sounds then like the battery is putting out enough power to run it, but not to start it. Which usually takes more power.

If this is the case, you are probably going to need a new battery to resolve the issue.

Kryptonian

Commendable
Feb 2, 2017

I have to take the battery out, plug in the wall charger, and it boots fine. At that point, if I put the battery in, it works fine, and I can unplug it. However, if I try booting it up with the battery in, I get the same problem. Thanks for your fast reply.

Kryptonian

Commendable
Feb 2, 2017

Okay, that's better than what I feared, which was a motherboard issue. I'll try a new battery. Thanks!