Acer Nitro 5 Thermal Throttling + Power Limit Throttling ( FIX )

Status
Not open for further replies.
Feb 19, 2019
So i got the Acer Nitro 5 on X-mas of 2018 my system specs is
  • Intel i5 8300h 2.3Ghz Turbos @ 3.9Ghz
  • GTX 1050 ti
  • 8Gb DDR4 2400Mhz Ram

So when i started playing games mainly PUBG i started noticing the heat it was producing plus it would go from 100fps down to 10 and it would be jumping all over the place with frames. So i downloaded MSI to look at the temps etc then after about a week i decided to go ahead and rethermal paste with Arctic Silver thermal paste after seeing how bad of a job Acer did i figured that this would help sadly it didnt help much. So i got a stand for my laptop to sit on to lift it off the desk with my fans running at full blast around 6100rpm while gaming my CPU was still hitting the 90+c range hottest ive seen it was 98c which is crazy in my mind. So o downloaded Intels Extreme tuning utility program and got to see how quickly it was Thermal Throttling and Power Limit Throttling within about 2 minutes of turning my computer on and starting a game it would start throttling. So i decided to figure out everything i needed to know and went ahead and started watching videos and reading alot about how to fix it currently i can play Pubg without any Throttling at all even after 9 to 12hrs of straight gaming. Im going to make a video on what all i did for this to happen.
What you should get is a laptop stand to rasie it off desk, then go to best buy Corsair Thermal paste and a Computer Case Fan i recommend getting the 120mm I just got the 80mm and if you have any spare Power Supplys for old or broken appliances ypu wanting something that has an output 12V 400ma or higher. Or in you have a power supply for an old computer. Also removed the Pointless Dust cover inside the laptop. I will be updating this post later on today before 8pm EST

Mar 1, 2019
I have the same laptop, where I live the average temperature can be anything from 20-30 degrees. From the get-go the laptop was giving me throttling issues. It's the CPU it doesn't have a cooling system powerful enough to keep the CPU in check, at least that's the case where I live.

The fix that worked for me was to disable turbo boost altogether. Now I play games like Arkham Knight, Rainbow Six Siege, Metro Exodus with no throttling, I can't say if I've noticed a difference in performance, I have watched several youtube videos that say that Turbo boost isn't all that helpful to most games but some games it is.

Reactions: Alexander077w
Status
Not open for further replies.