Acer Predator 15 vs Lenovo Legion Y720

danishsultan007

Estimable
Jan 3, 2015
I've been planning to buy a gaming laptop. I have two choices Acer Predator 15(7th Gen i7 - GTX 1070) https://www.acer.com/ac/en/US/content/predator-model/NH.Q1ZAA.001

and Lenovo Legion Y720
https://www3.lenovo.com/us/en/laptops/ideapad/lenovo-legion-y-series-laptops/Legion-Y720-15IKB/p/88GMY700794

Which laptop should i really buy both are around 1400$ dollar right now for me.

Also Acer is a little heavier 8.16 lb than the 7.05 lb of Y720.

I want to know the overall performance and the thermal conditions for both of them.

Thank You

Solution
I agree that the Acer outperforms the Legion on most counts - but I still stand by my recommendation. I know it doesn't reflect a spec-by-spec analysis, but how a machine works after 1, 2 and 3 years (if at all) is a legitimate concern in my opinion.

On paper most Acers offer great specs at reasonable prices. But just as you would ask friends and 'experts' for advice when it comes to smartphones, cars and other important things in your life, you should also do some research into user feedback on Acer laptops. It is not a dead-certainty that the Acer will fall apart the moment it arrives on your doorstep - but you'd be surprised what users have reported on Acers.

Lenovos will fail too, but given the massive presence of the company...
I suspect this is going to be a case of choosing the lesser of two evils. Obviously, they're both full-on gaming machines, but there are some issues with both:

1. The Acer does offer the better graphics option, but just how much of a difference this is going to make for your gaming style is entirely up to you. On paper, the Acer is difficult to fault, but going by owner reviews and user feedback Acers seem to be designed to last for 1 year - literally 1 year! - after that components start to degrade rapidly and the chassis starts to crack. And Acer's online support structure isn't as extensive or accessible as that of other mainstream brands - in fact it's generally considered bottom of the barrel. This doesn't necessarily apply to your country, but do a localized search for Acer feedback and see for yourself.

As for 'overall performance' and 'thermal conditions' here's a review from December last year:
https://www.notebookcheck.net/Acer-Predator-15-G9-593-Notebook-Review.187314.0.html

You might want to pay extra attention to their comments on the FrostCore feature.

2. The Y-series Legion is Lenovo's 'maiden voyage' into the desirable gaming market. While it does pack impressive specs, capping out with a 6GB 1060 card is such a penny-pinching bean-counter move - and it doesn't even make the laptops noticeably less expensive. Laptopmag has this review from July this year:
https://www.laptopmag.com/reviews/laptops/lenovo-legion-y720

I'm a bit surprised that the Y720 actually has decent battery life (from a 4-cell Li-polymer battery) - only slightly less than what the Acer Predator achieves with an 8-cell Li-ion battery. The reviewers like the speaker quality and hate the overall looks of the laptop.

3. I would recommend that you go for the Lenovo Legion Y720, because:
- It will be the more solid and sturdy machine of the two, with an expected life cycle of 4 to 5 years instead of 1 to 2 years for the Acer.
- Any hardware malfunction will also be easier to rectify yourself - Lenovos are generally still very user-friendly in this respect.
- Lenovos support structure may be very extensive, but it can be very frustrating to deal with for a private consumer. Fortunately, the laptops are generally very well built (except entry-level IdeaPads such as the 100 and 300 series).
- No matter where you live, I'm pretty sure it's going to be easier for you to find spare components and other Lenovo users compared with owning an Acer.
- Unless you're a professional gamer I doubt the 1060 card will bottleneck your gaming ambitions - and if you are a pro gamer, you would probably need some kind of 8GB 1080 SLI setup anyway.

Cheers,
GreyCatz.

danishsultan007

Estimable
Jan 3, 2015

I went on the website laptopmag with the y720 review , i saw there were benchmarks from different tools and games. There it showed the Acer Predator Helios 300 better than the Y720 in almost every respect. How is this possible?

I agree that the Acer outperforms the Legion on most counts - but I still stand by my recommendation. I know it doesn't reflect a spec-by-spec analysis, but how a machine works after 1, 2 and 3 years (if at all) is a legitimate concern in my opinion.

On paper most Acers offer great specs at reasonable prices. But just as you would ask friends and 'experts' for advice when it comes to smartphones, cars and other important things in your life, you should also do some research into user feedback on Acer laptops. It is not a dead-certainty that the Acer will fall apart the moment it arrives on your doorstep - but you'd be surprised what users have reported on Acers.

Lenovos will fail too, but given the massive presence of the company, you'll be in a better position to find spare parts and help from other Lenovo users. Acer clearly do not invest an awful lot of money in customer support, instead they lower retail prices. Nothing wrong with that provided the laptops are built like tanks and you never need to contact Acer.

As I indicated earlier, Acer may have a very different, and positive, reputation in your particular country, in which case the Predator is the winner - hands down.

Solution
Mar 19, 2018
Hello, I have been using a Helios 300 and a Lenovo Legion Y720 for about 2 months. I like both of them, the gameplay on both of them is outstanding. But I highly recommend the Helios 300.