Acer R5 Laptop Won't Power On - No Lights

ngibson1230

Honorable
Nov 29, 2013
Hi all,

My little brother plugged his phone up to my laptop last week and the USB cord had wires sticking out so the phone wasn't charging correctly. He started messing around with the wires until he got a charge, but after a while, the laptop shut down.

Now the laptop won't turn on. None of the lights including the Power and Charging lights are on in the front. When I plug up the power cord, the heat pipes connected to the heat sink immediately gets hot and stays hot until I remove the power cord.

I have an Acer R5-571TG-78G6 laptop.

Here is what I have tried so far from searching around the interwebs.

1. I took out the battery and held down the power button for 30 seconds.Then replaced the battery and tried to turn it on. I also tried this holding it down for 45 and 60 seconds.
2. I took out the battery, hard drive, and memory and held the power button for 30, 45, 60 seconds. Then replaced the battery, had drive, and memory and tried to turn it on. I also tried this holding it down for 45 and 60 seconds.
3. I replaced the battery with a new one.
4. I have used a multi meter on the power cord and it is working fine.

I have a feeling it is the motherboard, but I am hoping someone on here might have another suggestion.

Thank you so much in advance.

Solution
Seems like you need a new motherboard, a USB short or power surge can kill the laptop, seems like that is what happened.

When you removed the battery, did you also remove the CMOS battery from the motherboard? If not, try doing that also.