Activision: Actually, Guitar Hero's Not Dead

Status
Not open for further replies.

NapoleonDK

Distinguished
Nov 3, 2009
[citation][nom]burnley14[/nom]Spyro is a big huge monster title?[/citation]Maybe on the original Playstation... Gah! Games were so much better when I was a kid! =\

rantoc

Distinguished
Dec 17, 2009
And here we go, Activision greed at its best.

Spend 5 minutes of devtime, add some new gfx and music and voila - Time to milk the customers another round, i knew they would get back to this "brand" because its so easy to produce compared to other more genuine titles and still brings good rewards and Activision haven't been about customer satisfaction and quality the last decade(s) so....

NapoleonDK

Distinguished
Nov 3, 2009
Just wait, next year they'll put out a fully free-roam open-ended MMORPG where you create your rock star and bum around your garage for a few levels getting your DEX and MAG up, while partying like a fool and lowering your VIT. Then after you hit LVL10 it opens up the high school, then the local bar, gaining new instruments and gear... Environments could be randomly generated like Diablo 2, and you'd have all kinds of opportunity for in-game advertising via auto-updating posters/billboards/items in-game.

...actually wait...that sounds kindof awesome... XD Somebody please make this game!

bustapr

Distinguished
Jan 23, 2009
Im actually happy about this. As much as people hate GH and tell people to play real guitar, the truth is, MANY people today are playing real guitar because of GH(including myself). And its a fun party game, I just hope they release the next one for the next console line up and without the silly butt ugly graphics. I just hope that they dont realease a new CoD any time soon, especially knowing that Battlefield 3 is this winter. Activision also needs to vary the lineup and bring new IP and old franchises back.

Its as if Activisions higher ups have their heads up their cracks, they dont know how to maintain franchises and how to make bigger profits in the long term, their "milk and destroy" take is gonna destroy the company that owns so many good things.

Trialsking

Distinguished
Mar 2, 2007
[citation][nom]rantoc[/nom]And here we go, Activision greed at its best.Spend 5 minutes of devtime, add some new gfx and music and voila - Time to milk the customers another round, i knew they would get back to this "brand" because its so easy to produce compared to other more genuine titles and still brings good rewards and Activision haven't been about customer satisfaction and quality the last decade(s) so....[/citation]

I hate when people cry about greed in the game industry. If you don't like the product don't buy it. You don't need GH to live. That's how a free market works. I personally think GH is stupid, so I don't buy it. I saw that Crysis 2 is a console port, so guess what, I didn't buy it.

Good for Activitvison and Crytek for maximizing profits. That's what corporations do. And if the consumers don't like, then they will not buy it and the corporations will have to produce something that people want, because those greed bastard really do want your $$$$!

The corps play to the lowest common denominator(same game with few changes, crappy console ports) because consumers are stupid enough to keep buy them in large numbers. I wish the games were all the greatest they could be, but there are crap so I don't support those games. Unfortunately I am in the small minority, so I have to put up with waiting for the the very few good games.

NuclearShadow

Distinguished
Sep 20, 2007
[citation][nom]bustapr[/nom]Im actually happy about this. As much as people hate GH and tell people to play real guitar, the truth is, MANY people today are playing real guitar because of GH(including myself).[/citation]

Sorry but this logic just does not make sense to me whatsoever. It's not like you didn't know guitars didn't exist until the game. You no doubt have listened to music with such a instrument playing. You more than likely have seen such being played on a live occasion. Guitars are also seen as a popular and cool instrument.

If a piece of plastic that sort of resembles a guitar truly inspired you to play said instrument than I am simply baffled. They make toy guitars with the same concept that you play on that game for literally toddlers. So are you saying that if I gave you a toy that was meant for a 2-3 year old child you would have been inspired to learn how to play the real instrument?

Yet musical interest, musicians you like, musical legends, and the fact that the instrument is a extremely popular one around the globe could not perk your interest? Can anyone please just try to help me understand this? Anyone?

feeddagoat

Distinguished
Apr 11, 2010
for the love of God no............

the Activision President said the game was a casualty of the company’s decision to focus on the “three big, huge monsters” that are Bungie, Call of Duty and Spyro titles.
Its not as if they can't afford a development team, after all they do own their golden cash cow in WoW. Plus all their developers need to know is how to use copy and paste. I really don't see why their making such a meal of this short of a PR stunt that just makes me think their bigger idiots than they let on.

captaincharisma

Distinguished
[citation][nom]NuclearShadow[/nom]Sorry but this logic just does not make sense to me whatsoever. It's not like you didn't know guitars didn't exist until the game. You no doubt have listened to music with such a instrument playing. You more than likely have seen such being played on a live occasion. Guitars are also seen as a popular and cool instrument. If a piece of plastic that sort of resembles a guitar truly inspired you to play said instrument than I am simply baffled. They make toy guitars with the same concept that you play on that game for literally toddlers. So are you saying that if I gave you a toy that was meant for a 2-3 year old child you would have been inspired to learn how to play the real instrument?Yet musical interest, musicians you like, musical legends, and the fact that the instrument is a extremely popular one around the globe could not perk your interest? Can anyone please just try to help me understand this? Anyone?[/citation]

Simple you don't understand because you think the game is stupid and have no interest in it.. but to people who like the game it can give them that big push because of there interest in the game to finally pick up a real guitar.

LePhuronn

Distinguished
Apr 20, 2007
[citation][nom]JohnnyLucky[/nom]I prefer my air guitar!!![/citation]

Which is why Guitar Hero is moving to Kinect.

Actually, that might not be a bad idea - score points the more you rock out. Plenty of countries have air guitar competitions, so why not digitise it with Kinect?

d_kuhn

Distinguished
Mar 26, 2002
[citation][nom]NuclearShadow[/nom]Sorry but this logic just does not make sense to me whatsoever. It's not like you didn't know guitars didn't exist until the game. You no doubt have listened to music with such a instrument playing. You more than likely have seen such being played on a live occasion. Guitars are also seen as a popular and cool instrument. If a piece of plastic that sort of resembles a guitar truly inspired you to play said instrument than I am simply baffled. They make toy guitars with the same concept that you play on that game for literally toddlers. So are you saying that if I gave you a toy that was meant for a 2-3 year old child you would have been inspired to learn how to play the real instrument?Yet musical interest, musicians you like, musical legends, and the fact that the instrument is a extremely popular one around the globe could not perk your interest? Can anyone please just try to help me understand this? Anyone?[/citation]

He's not the only one... both my kids started playing guitar after getting into Rock Band and Guitar Hero, and they've both stuck with playing the real thing AND the games. The reason that the games do this isn't because of a guitar shaped piece of plastic... it's because of the wide array of great music that kids are exposed to when they play the game, and the way the games let you feel some sense of participation in the music making process. Kids that are musically inclined get that sense and say "man that's cool... I bet the real thing is even cooler" and go to the next step.

The real instrument may be popular but it's only relative to other instruments. Maybe 5% of the population ever learns to play at all, and how many can play well enough to be called musicians? 2%? Maybe these games can increase that by a little... which is a good thing. The games helped raise the number by at least 2, one (older) a decent noodler and the other (youngest) with the potential to develop into a performance quality bassist (plays both electric and upright, with bow and without, into Jazz at the moment).

qhoa1385

Distinguished
May 8, 2010
[citation][nom]NapoleonDK[/nom]Maybe on the original Playstation... Gah! Games were so much better when I was a kid! =\[/citation]

I think you meant games were much more original and unique when you were kid =/
I understand

lol

Status
Not open for further replies.