Activision Blizzard Stands Tall; EA Stumbles

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Guide community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

joz

Distinguished
Jun 13, 2008
[citation][nom]jalek[/nom]EA just needs a better rootkit to distribute with it's games. That should make them profitable.Calling all your customers thieves and any who disagree pirates really isn't good business. Their job cuts need to start at the top.[/citation]
Since 2004? Damnnn lightwight :p
I've been waiting since they changed drop mods to prevent 20fcr from spawning on rare ammulets. (bastards!) and str/life on boots....

D3 is'nt going to be one of the best of 2010, (or whatever year they release it,) its going to be one of the best in history of a PC game, maybe even of all gaming media. Yes, noobs who have not played d1/d2, D3 will make GTA, halo and Titanic look like a a light fury in winter. D3 will be a "BLIZZARD."

demonhorde665

Distinguished
Jul 13, 2008
[citation][nom]joz[/nom]Since 2004? Damnnn lightwight I've been waiting since they changed drop mods to prevent 20fcr from spawning on rare ammulets. (bastards!) and str/life on boots....D3 is'nt going to be one of the best of 2010, (or whatever year they release it,) its going to be one of the best in history of a PC game, maybe even of all gaming media. Yes, noobs who have not played d1/d2, D3 will make GTA, halo and Titanic look like a a light fury in winter. D3 will be a "BLIZZARD."[/citation]

D3 will be-
a sequel
a repeat of what was already done.
a repeat of repetative hack and slash gmae play
a total money whoring game
another blizard game
a big whoopie s**t

i doubt the D3 will be revolutionary , in fact given blizzards track record will be quite what peopel expect from it , which in my book equals REHASH. sure it may be a great game , and sure millions of fanboys will go and grap it. but times have changed and hack N slash rpg's jsut don't cut it any more for me , and further more sales figures don't make for great games they only tell you the gmae sold well. perfect example is the Transformers movie , sure it sold super numbers at box office , but when you really disect the movie you come to realize what a turd of a film it was.

not saying that D3 willb e a turd , but i seriously doubt it wilkl make all those othe gmaes look "weak". especially since the diablo seires was never really much for story , i doubt that will change in D3 so it will actually look quite weak story wise compared to the likes of , GTA , halo , titanic, Mass effect, Fallout 3. oh and for teh record whya re you even comparing it to shooters ? D series is a rpg so get a grasp on reality my friend and compare it to same genre games (which it definitely falls short in the story when you stand it up against mass efect and fallout 3)

neiroatopelcc

Distinguished
Oct 3, 2006
@ Demonhorde : Just because you don't like a given thing, doesn't make it bad. You're known for being wrong anyway.
I'm not impressed with the diablo 3 footage I've seen so far, but then, diablo 1 and 2 weren't particularily well done in the visual department either. Blizzard focus on gameplay, and that's why it'll be a hit. When the game is released it will 1) work out of the box 2) get support from blizzard for 5+ years 3) be patched if something doesn't work.

I think EA is losing ground because of the way their business works. Blizzard focus on quality. Every game they make, and they don't make many, is well developed and lives up to expectations. EA on the other hand lives on quantity. And when people can no longer afford to buy 3 new sports games, a new driving game, a new sims expansion and various other stuff every year, they'll lose money. With blizzard the customers pay for a select few titles, and most likely regard these expenses as nessecary. So while they may spend the same amount of money on wow and stuff, they may not feel they are doing so.

In short - I'm sure diablo 3 will be a great game, despite the shortfalls of the currently available data.

azxcvbnm321

Distinguished
Oct 13, 2008
EA suffering because of alienating pirates? Ridiculous. It's like saying the banks are suffering from installing bulletproof glass to ward off bank robbers. No, thieves are customers you DON'T want, and they aren't customers in the first place, thus the theft part.

Stop the BS, most people who pirate do not buy the game once they have a free copy, there is just no reason to do so. If you are immoral enough to pirate in the first place, you aren't going to buy the game because "it's the right thing to do".

EA is suffering because its games suck. The Madden and Sports series were so unpredictable that often the newer version was worse than the previous year's version. They never seemed able to get the playability, realism, and cool abilities parts into balance for more than one year out of five. A new Madden won't be missed because people are so tired of "upgrading" to an unplayable version that they've stuck with their old Madden games that actually are playable and fun.

Spore was a flop from a gaming perspective, it just wasn't re-playable like awesome classics are. It wasn't due to DRM.

And to make it even more clear, pirates aren't customers so calling them thieves, which they are, won't change the bottom line. It's sad that lower budget games and smaller publishers/developers can't survive anymore because of pirating. Oh sure there's the occasional guy who makes it, but they need an absolute hit, they can't just make a solid game that is fun to play, but not revolutionary, or a niche type game like a turn based RPG or strategy simulation anymore.

So now we get less games and less variety. Of course the model is to release proven sequels because anything else can't survive due to pirating. You need a hit to make up for the thieves who are robbing the industry blind. Sad but true. Sequels have a better chance to become a hit thanks to familiarity and an established fan base. That's where the industry stands today.

gm0n3y

Distinguished
Mar 13, 2006
@azxcvbnm321,

You are completely wrong. Many people I know will download a game to try it before they buy it. I don't even know anybody that pirates a game, enjoys the game, plays it a lot and doesn't buy it. The only time most people will pirate a game they enjoy and not buy it is if they can't afford it (e.g. students). Yes buggy games hurt a company, but the reason I don't (and many, many other people) buy EA games is because of DRM.

I bet you also think that people that download music don't buy it either. The vast majority of my friends work in the music industry and they whole-heartedly support pirating of music because they know that people that like their music will support them by either buying their albums, buying their merchandise and/or paying to see them play live.

As for your assertion that "lower budget games and smaller publishers/developers can't survive anymore because of pirating", that is just plain wrong. There has been a plethora of success stories of small publishers releasing games with absolutely no DRM and doing quite well with them. Its true that its hard to recoup the cost of development for games that are not huge blockbusters, but smaller games usually have much lower rates of piracy compared to actual sales.

azxcvbnm321

Distinguished
Oct 13, 2008
Gm0n3y, maybe you can explain to me why the people you know will go and buy the game they just pirated. I think I understand what you mean, they will buy it if they get X amount of hours playing it and know that they'll keep on playing it forever. But a game that only gets them 60 hours of enjoyment, quite a lot I might add, but has no replay value and they'll never buy that game right, because it doesn't fit into their "good enough" category. Yet 60 hours or even 24 hours of enjoyment is quite a lot. A concert only lasts 3 hours or so if you're lucky, yet people pay hundreds of dollars just for that ONE TIME experience right?

So you're robbing developers that might want to create a cool game that has no replay value like Myst or some other game like that. What's wrong with a game that is set to be an one time experience like a concert or a movie? You've destroyed an entire category of games. So if you and your friends do what I think you do, which is only buy games that have great replay value, you've hurt the industry by pirating. Why would you buy a game that you've already finished thanks to pirating?

And there are demos out there for you to try, but of course the demos won't satisfy the pirate thief, the purpose is not to sample but to steal and get enjoyment. Then after playing for 30 hours and finishing the game, he can say the game sucked (even though he just spent 30 hours playing it) and justify not buying it. Yes, it's standard psychology for criminals to justify their immoral behavior. Look at Bernie Madoff, he hasn't apologized or looked sorry because he's somehow justified stealing $50 billion of other people's money. He's not wrong, what he did wasn't bad, maybe he gave money to a charity, so he thinks the rich people who he stole from are stingy and he's a modern day Robin Hood. Thus the criminal justifies his theft.

Companies don't want DRM either, but the damned pirates forced them to, blame the pirates. Wouldn't it be great if we didn't need car alarms and locks on our doors either? But damned thieves force us to and so when I hear an annoying car alarm, I blame the carjacker, not the owner who is forced to protect himself and his property.

gm0n3y

Distinguished
Mar 13, 2006
That's not really how I work. To some degree, if a game only gives me 4 or 5 hours of enjoyment with no replay value, I will not buy that game. However, 60 hours is a huge number, that's probably a month of gaming for me. Most games I buy I don't even play for that long (unless they have great replay value).

I really get what you're saying, but to me a game that is only 4 or 5 hours of enjoyment (e.g. Spore) really isn't worth buying (though I did buy Spore and got fucked by EA's bullshit virus DRM). I guess you could say that I pirate games to use them as a full featured demo.

There are many games that I've bought that I have played for less than 24 hours total (e.g. Fallout 3). Perhaps I shouldn't be boasting about my choices, since there are less reputable types out there that will of course do as you have stated. I just felt the need to justify my actions, not because I feel guilty, but because I feel that it is not just a legitimate choice, but a moral choice that actually ends in me purchasing more games.

G

I fully agree with you gm0n3y.

I'd also like to point out the recent failure of Hellgate: London. I paid $49.95 and its $9.95 monthly fee ONLY to get a paid beta test and I could not return it for a refund. If you bought a car that didn't work you could take it back. Have I stolen a few games, yes , have I bought them afterwards, you bet. When EA releases a paid beta like Hellgate:London and refusing to refund my money, I think we as consumers diverse another game.

Status
Not open for further replies.