EA Makes Projected Layoffs a Reality

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tindytim

Distinguished
Sep 16, 2008
Somehow, I don't feel bad for the biggest developer of shitty games doing badly. They do make some good stuff, but it's all about money. I find it ironic that they bow to the hand that beats.

[citation][nom]cl_spdhax1[/nom]they should layoff the battlefield heroes staffs, cause that game was suppose to be release about a year ago.[/citation]
So laying them off will get the product done faster?

malveaux

Distinguished
Aug 12, 2008
Lol,

Those fools. It has nothing to do with NFS Undercover & Mirror's Edge not flying off shelves the way they expected it to. It has to do with them expecting their titles to be worthy of flying off the shelves to begin with. In other words, EA's games are craptastic and they haven't realized or noticed everyone is telling them, "TRY HARDER."

So far, their "creative risks" have been "total failures."

Get back to producing sports games. It's all you ever did right, EA.

Cheers,

virtualban

Distinguished
Feb 16, 2007
Well, I stopped even trying to read reviews on EA games because of the "They do have ANOTHER sims title coming up" policy they use on games. And to think they almost got GTA4 and their producer. If they really would have gotten them, in a very short time we would be having GTA Underground 14 (and here I am quoting someone else's quote on this)

onearmedscissorb

Distinguished
Apr 25, 2008
[citation][nom]falchard[/nom]Hooray, EA is falling because it is run by an idiot. Finally the evil corporation is going down.[/citation]

Unfortunately, it's a bit hard to kill a giant, evil corporation. You can only screw over their overworked employees, as is the case here.

But at least those people will likely be able to find better jobs.

pochacco007

Distinguished
Aug 3, 2008
"EA is implementing a plan to narrow its product portfolio to focus on hit games with higher margin opportunities."

if that quote means that they are to continue supporting the development of 360/ps3 games, then more likely they will shrink even further and die.

i can't sympathize with them because they're stupid. all the third party developers keep saying the same thing about the wii [they were hoping it would fail, they're ignorance for it proves it]. it's been month after month that the wii sales are up and up and there are so much lack of development for the wii. now the time comes and they are smacked straight and hard. that is two million wii's for november, which translate to two million potential buyers, which for the third party developers mean nothing. so that is two million buyers straight out the window.

good luck to the third party developers who lacked the acknowledgment of the wii. i don't feel sorry for those who lost their jobs.

Tindytim

Distinguished
Sep 16, 2008
[citation][nom]pochacco007[/nom]it's been month after month that the wii sales are up and up and there are so much lack of development for the wii. now the time comes and they are smacked straight and hard. that is two million wii's for november, which translate to two million potential buyers, which for the third party developers mean nothing. so that is two million buyers straight out the window. good luck to the third party developers who lacked the acknowledgment of the wii. i don't feel sorry for those who lost their jobs.[/citation]

It's not hard to make a crappy minigame collection. Most Wii user are extremely ignorant when it comes to gaming (which is why they bought a Wii in the first place), so attracting them to a game is about as difficult as convincing a young child that there is a Santa Claus. Just make a video of people having fun waving around yet another peripheral in a group setting, and lots of pretty colors.

Point being, you don't get a Wii for serious gaming, you get a Wii for a quick pick up and play session, not for any great gaming experience.

As much as EA likes money, they also would like to pretend they cater to gamers, as if they have some type of image to uphold.

[citation][nom]cl_spdhax1[/nom]oh maybe ppl should just wait another year?[/citation]

Do you want the game or not? Even if rushed games were better than games that weren't, I don't see how replacing the staff would make things go faster. And with these cuts, they may just scrap the project all together.

neiroatopelcc

Distinguished
Oct 3, 2006
[citation][nom]malveaux[/nom]Lol,Those fools. It has nothing to do with NFS Undercover & Mirror's Edge not flying off shelves the way they expected it to. It has to do with them expecting their titles to be worthy of flying off the shelves to begin with. In other words, EA's games are craptastic and they haven't realized or noticed everyone is telling them, "TRY HARDER."So far, their "creative risks" have been "total failures."Get back to producing sports games. It's all you ever did right, EA.Cheers,[/citation]
They've lacked innovation in their games, but they're not nessecarily bad. Every year I get dissappointed by how similar to last years game their new one is, but at least they work most of the time. Not every publisher can claim their titles work when shipped.
With that said I haven't invested in any ea game this year though. They're just not innovative enough.

[citation][nom]Tindytim[/nom]Somehow, I don't feel bad for the biggest developer of shitty games doing badly. They do make some good stuff, but it's all about money. I find it ironic that they bow to the hand that beats.[/citation]
I kinda see it the same way, but I can't ignore the workforce that will now be without job. I bet many of the people did their job just fine, and simply lost (or will lose) it because someone higher in the hieracy fucked up.

V8VENOM

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
Piracey + bad economy + teens that expect everything for nothing and if they can't get it for nothing they steal it. This country has a generation "give me everything for nothing".

EA is a BIG publisher, nobody who is remotely interested in gaming on the PC or console wants to see EA go down. This isn't some fly by night company.

Oh and yes, EA's prime market is teens, again love it like it or not, that's the reality of their main stream consumer market. Mom and Dab buys teen game, teen has other teen buddies that dup games. End result EA thinks the teen market is where it's at. Turns out that sure Teens play the games, but the don't PAY for the games --
and that is what EA missed.

The games aimed at a more mature market (read people that have money to spend) ultimately bring in the bacon - but they have been ignore for the generate "now and for free".

I feel sorry for EA, they aimed at a market (teens) that they thought was a cash cow, only to find out they just cows with no cash.

neiroatopelcc

Distinguished
Oct 3, 2006
[citation][nom]V8VENOM[/nom]Piracey + bad economy + teens that expect everything for nothing and if they can't get it for nothing they steal it. This country has a generation "give me everything for nothing".EA is a BIG publisher, nobody who is remotely interested in gaming on the PC or console wants to see EA go down. This isn't some fly by night company.Oh and yes, EA's prime market is teens, again love it like it or not, that's the reality of their main stream consumer market. Mom and Dab buys teen game, teen has other teen buddies that dup games. End result EA thinks the teen market is where it's at. Turns out that sure Teens play the games, but the don't PAY for the games -- and that is what EA missed.The games aimed at a more mature market (read people that have money to spend) ultimately bring in the bacon - but they have been ignore for the generate "now and for free".I feel sorry for EA, they aimed at a market (teens) that they thought was a cash cow, only to find out they just cows with no cash.[/citation]

Anyone who liked the vendors ea assimilated and shut down may not really be sad if ea left the marked to ubisoft and vivendi.

I think you're right with your target audience theory though. There are teens who pay for the games they play, but they're few. I don't think it's fair to blame them though, cause it's the parents, us, who didn't teach them that interlectual property is property as well. It's not like they don't know stealing is thieft, but they simply doesn't regard piracy as stealing - cause technically they didn't take anything, it's still there. IT does have an effect though. Sure. But in the end it is the parent that failed. Anyway. I can't be bothered much by EA's trouble. They've milked the industry for so long, they kinda deserve a bit of a rough economy. No other publisher is like ea. Not even valve produces sequels simply to make money from the popularity of it. Only EA does that.

Twist86

Distinguished
Oct 10, 2008
@ Cyber_jockey

I blame a hell of a lot more then DRM on EA.
I blame a whole range of crap EA pulls from false advertising to shelling out buggy games that had no business being released.

EA down 10%...now lets slowly finish them off.
If you gotta buy a EA title EBAY it used....this gets you the game + screws EA of profit.
Id rather turn Valve into EA size...least they still know what gamers want and don't worry over pirates all day.

Also blaming pirates is beyond stupid...90% of the people who pirate the game wouldn't have bought it even if they couldn't download it.
My cousin downloads EVERY FPS but if you stopped him he wouldn't buy it...games today are not worth buying imo...I am 3-4 years behind on games...I wont buy till I can get for 20 bucks.

Status
Not open for further replies.