Activision Puts an End to Guitar Hero Franchise

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Guide community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

helldog3105

Distinguished
Apr 2, 2009
You know... It's amazing how many people automatically assume that because you play these games you have no real talent or skill. I play guitar, have since I was 12, and I play the drums and have since I was 8 and piano from before that. I very much enjoy Rock Band, not so much Guitar Hero, but how many games can one company release?

There is no similarity between playing the drums or the guitar in Rock band or Guitar hero and real life. Pro-Mode comes a little closer, but with the drums you have no high hat pedal control during songs and double kick pedal is a joke as there are almost no songs that benefit from it. I cannot do Pro-Mode on the Guitar because I refuse to purchase the pro guitar. Does this mean I should hate on everyone who plays these games? No. They are fun, they are a distraction, and they help build appreciation for artists, some of whom deserve more attention than they get. With Activision shutting down guitar hero and EA selling off Harmonix, I highly doubt we'll see any more games like these for a while. I seem to recall reading somewhere than Rockband 3 is it for that line so music games had a good run I guess.

Bottom line - Just because someone is playing something you don't like doesn't mean you need to crap all over it. I don't like Call of Duty but I don't badmouth people who play, although I think activision's BS exploitation of every game they make to release a new one every year is ridiculous and leads to crap products. I hope they learn their lesson.

xerroz

Distinguished
Jun 15, 2010
My favorite were GH 3-5, I thought they had the best selection of songs (GH 5 takes the crown tho, that playlist was amazing - it had not as much of that metal crap the 1 and 2 had). It was fun playing but remember everyones NOT playing to feel like theyre playing an instrument, that's bullcrap so stop saying "find a new hobby" everyone freaking knows its a fake instrument and nothing like the real one - even the people who play it know that.

You gotta give credit to Rockband and GH though, they did introduce a lot of young people to good music (none of that rap shit like lil wayne, snoop dogg or shit like justn beaver, kesha, etc whatever the lame kids listen to).. There's a few bands that i had never even heard of and i just became in love with them. those games were a really good way of exposing people to music/bands they wouldnt find otherwise

liveonc

Distinguished
Mar 24, 2008
[citation][nom]yo_dude[/nom]Are you kidding me?! Air guitar hero (& air drums) would be so fun on the Kinect![/citation]
It would, but the Sony would make fun of them...

Onus

Distinguished
Jan 27, 2006
Guitar "Hero"??? Give me a break. I'm sorry; a hero is the guy who runs into a burning building (for the third time) to bring the last kid out. Colonel Dick Winters was another hero, as were each of his men. Guitar-playing, no matter how skillful, will not make anyone into a hero.

alidan

Distinguished
Aug 5, 2009
[citation][nom]jtt283[/nom]Guitar "Hero"??? Give me a break. I'm sorry; a hero is the guy who runs into a burning building (for the third time) to bring the last kid out. Colonel Dick Winters was another hero, as were each of his men. Guitar-playing, no matter how skillful, will not make anyone into a hero.[/citation]
i know people who would have probably killed themselves if it weren't for fun distracting from their crappy lives, music (not these games, music in general) is one of the few things that kept them going. may not make them heros in the "i risk my life for yours" sense, but heros non the less.

alidan

Distinguished
Aug 5, 2009
[citation][nom]SmileyTPB1[/nom]It's about time. Activision made fools out of so many people by tricking them into paying hundreds of dollars to play air guitar. For those of you who haven't figured it out yet air guitar is A)Stupid, and B) Free. Go watch South Park if you still don't get it. All of the people who payed so much money to Activision would have been much better off to spend all that money and learn how to play a real guitar.[/citation]
[citation][nom]NeBuN[/nom]because the game got old, not because Activision sunk its claws in it[/citation]
[citation][nom]NeBuN[/nom]that game is really annoying, can't stand it...if people want to be superstars they need to do it in real life, not in a fantasy game[/citation]

i have no musical talent at all, i mean at all. and if i did get a real guitar, i have not the will to learn to play it perfect nor the motivation, as i would just play videogame songs that i like, and would be unwilling to pay for a good guitar. mostlikey it would waste money.

guitar hero, they really screwed up... big time. they over saturated the market, usually with subpar songs on disc, and did they force you to but a new game for new dlc, and did the dlc transfer like in rockband?

i have to say the guitar part, i thought was dumb as hell, but can see its enjoyment factor, pick it up and try it on easy or medium in a store if you see it, fun as hell to play.

the drums were interesting, but not enough to make me buy it. it wasn't until the real guitar came out that i wanted it. i got rockband, the keyboard (another instrument i want skill in, for fun), the drums (thought it would be fun, and they are) and pre bought the real guitar (only way i could learn it is through instand gratification, best way for that, games) and have yet to really pick up the plastic guitars.

the games are fun if you pick and chose what you want to try.

rantoc

Distinguished
Dec 17, 2009
Due to the extreme over-abuse of the brand and the lower quality for each release we have lost substantial sales and would only earn nine times the money invested, since that don't meet the Activision standard by ten times the money invested we are forced to abandon it.

Thank you for helping me keeping my well deserved salary - Regards Bobby K!

zak_mckraken

Distinguished
Jan 16, 2004
I had a great time with the GH series. I still play some songs now and then. Maybe it's time to release one last game, one that's a "standalone" and that would integrate downloadable song packs. 1 game, infinite songs. That's how it should have been anyway, but I understand it would not have been so profitable to Activision.

G

The idea at the start was good and people jumped on the new way of playing games and enjoying the music. But once guitar hero 3 came out they tried to introduce other instruments which caused the prices to rise. People just didn't buy into the idea of that. Guitar hero 5 was probably the worst guitar hero game to be released, just ran out of idea's towards the end.
DJ hero never was as popular as guitar hero and people weren't impressed by it so not surprised to see that go also. And with the end to the Tony Hawk's and constant job losses going on within the company it's fair to say more "big" titles will go by the end of Q4 2011.

G

Personally, I played guitar hero a lot, knowing it's a game and not an instrument. It's a better game than people think. Maybe activision released too much ghs too fast, even for me, but it's sad that the whole issue is now over...

Status
Not open for further replies.