Actually, the Galaxy Note 8 Is Totally Worth $1,000

Status
Not open for further replies.
G

A thousand dollars!? Good lord! I hope this thing blows other phones out of the water for a price tag like that.

Dave Haynie

Distinguished
Jan 9, 2015
The Note series has never been "mainstream". This is a "phablet", and actually a useful one with that Wacom digitizer and pen. That's typically, by itself, been a $100 premium over devices with only a touchscreen. So you're basically getting the larger display for free versus the S8. Though a smaller battery is stupid, and no, not needed to "find room for the S-pen".

Dave Haynie

Distinguished
Jan 9, 2015
The "probably won't explode" feature is great as well, but you sort of expected that to be included with all smartphones.

On the other hand, the glass back idea that's catchy lately, despite Apple having dumped that years ago, is one of the stupidest things ever. I can see the designer meeting on that: "Hey, I have an idea... let's take the part of the phone that always breaks and make the whole phone that way! That'll get us so many more sales, and unlike the exploding battery trick, I think the press will be on our side!"

I actually prefer a phone designed for the way phones are actually used. If you need a case for your phone, you don't have one of those.

Sushi_burger

Prominent
Jun 12, 2017
I’m surprised no one is complaining about the lack of stereo speakers. I can’t believe that they promote a “cinamatic experience “ and a case that you can view it sideways, and then drop the ball buy putting a single speaker on the thing.

thpilgrymm616

Prominent
Aug 24, 2017
The LG V20 also has the same camera setup, which means that the Note 8 is not the first phone to do the dual camera thing.

farnumdl

Prominent
Aug 26, 2017
Nobody said the dual camera was new. What is new is it is the first phone with stabilization on both lenses.

Markason

Commendable
Feb 24, 2016
I'm sure it's a great phone, and from a price-is-no-concern perspective, it might even be a good value. Personally, I would not pay $1000 for ANY phone in 2017. I'm certain I will be quite happy with a lower-cost model that offers excellent bang-for-the-buck features, while allowing me to use what I'm saving on the purchase of other gadgets I want.

jcyoungmoney321

Prominent
Aug 20, 2017
S8 has newer screen technology than the S8+ and the Note 8. The y-octa screen will be used in the S9 series and Note 9. Don't know for sure why the S8+ and the Note 8 did not get it. Almost 50 more ppi means a sharper screen on the S8 versus the other two. You'll notice the difference between the three side by side in terms of sharper detail. I'll take next year's screen technology with more pixel density over the slightly larger battery and screen size along with the dual camera setup and 2 extra GB of RAM.

jdonalds2001

Estimable
Oct 3, 2014
There is no way I would spend $1,000 or even $600 for a phone. I'll buy older models New In Box on eBay, or buy non top-tier phones even if it means reduced capability.

Status
Not open for further replies.