Ad Sounds Coming from Unknown Application

phorward

Honorable
Jun 12, 2013
Almost as if out of the blue an ad/random sound clip will play over my computer. It comes out of the speakers and appears on the volume mixer as 'Name Not Available'. I have ran several scans with Malware Malbytes, but no results of any type of virus have came up. I am on Windows 8 and without a clue as to what is causing this.

cliffzoso

Honorable
Sep 10, 2013
This will work. Install comodo firewall free version from comodo website. Once comodo starts running, it will give you a prompt saying some application wants access to the internet. For me (i have this same problem as you have) the file was winmonitor.exe (The virus may b hiding behind it). I blocked access(block and terminate) , and ticked the option for 'remember this preference' . So no problems until now. Comodo rocks. Make sure you are using a forgiving antivirus like avast. If you are using norton , bit defender etc , its not a good idea to run comodo side by side. Also in your av (avast preferably, give expection for comodo) so it doesnt block that app from running.

That does not actually clean out the virus, only block it from going online. Use TDSSkiller, it should actually remove it. I have run into this phantom audio several times and that program took care of it each time.