Ad-supported Kindle Serves You Deals and Ads

Status
Not open for further replies.

shoelessinsight

Distinguished
Jun 27, 2009
For me, the real deterrence to buying a Kindle is not the cost of the device, but the cost of eBooks. They're no cheaper than a paperback copy, especially if you buy used, and you can't resell them when you're done. Furthermore, I can check out books for free from the library, but I cannot do the same on a Kindle.

If eBooks ever become a lot cheaper, I'll gladly get a Kindle, almost regardless of the device's price. Until then, used book stores and public libraries will continue to be my source for reading material.

visa

Distinguished
Oct 6, 2006
I just ordered a Kindle but chose against pre-ordering the ad-supported model. I'll gladly pay the extra $25 to keep ads off there and as far as special offers, I just don't think it will be worth it.

Some of the ads may also present some good deals but I'd just prefer to keep an eye out on Slickdeals instead.

fafkac

Distinguished
Nov 11, 2010
[citation][nom]shoelessinsight[/nom]For me, the real deterrence to buying a Kindle is not the cost of the device, but the cost of eBooks. They're no cheaper than a paperback copy, especially if you buy used, and you can't resell them when you're done. Furthermore, I can check out books for free from the library, but I cannot do the same on a Kindle.If eBooks ever become a lot cheaper, I'll gladly get a Kindle, almost regardless of the device's price. Until then, used book stores and public libraries will continue to be my source for reading material.[/citation]

There is a ton o free books and also if u know where 2 look u can get everything what u want

shoelessinsight

Distinguished
Jun 27, 2009
[citation][nom]fafkac[/nom]There is a ton o free books and also if u know where 2 look u can get everything what u want[/citation]
I've actually downloaded a few free eBooks, but the ones worth reading are rare enough that they don't justify ~$150 for a portable reader when I can use the computer I already have for free. If enough good eBooks come along that are free or very cheap, then I'd love a Kindle to make the reading easier.

I'd be interested in seeing ad-supported eBooks, though, provided the ads aren't too obtrusive.

Silmarunya

Distinguished
Nov 3, 2009
Ads are annoying and distracting while reading, and what the hell is $25 for a device that will last many years and already has a pretty modest upfront purchase price?

e-books themselves are also quite a bit cheaper than printed ones, especially if you don't use an Amazon based reader. Too bad no reader can match the Kindle Graphite.

Note to e-Reader makers:

Dear manufacturers,

Please, please, please turn color e-ink from prototype into reality and then launch an affordable 11" color e-ink reader that supports the open e-pub format.

Yours sincerely,
99% of the world's avid readers.

fafkac

Distinguished
Nov 11, 2010
[citation][nom]shoelessinsight[/nom]I've actually downloaded a few free eBooks, but the ones worth reading are rare enough that they don't justify ~$150 for a portable reader when I can use the computer I already have for free. If enough good eBooks come along that are free or very cheap, then I'd love a Kindle to make the reading easier.I'd be interested in seeing ad-supported eBooks, though, provided the ads aren't too obtrusive.[/citation]

Im working a lot on PC and also reading a lot. Reading from LCD really suxx in comparison to e-reader, got kindle for about 2 months and in my opinion its easier to read from kindle than its from paper, no strain for eyes that u get from LCD

virtualban

Distinguished
Feb 16, 2007
[citation][nom]ReggieRay[/nom]Tom's really needs to block these spammers instead of people whom they disagree with what is in their posts.[/citation]
Spammers can't be blocked as easily like that. But then, even if, spammers would evolve like this user: bestbatteryshops , and make it harder and harder to even distinguish, let alone block it automatically.
My suggestion is readers helping in the fight against spam, suggested it on the feedbacks also.
http://feedbacks.tomshardware.com/forums/14581-site-forum-ideas/suggestions/1687631-readers-helping-fighting-spam

gm0n3y

Distinguished
Mar 13, 2006
[citation][nom]shoelessinsight[/nom]For me, the real deterrence to buying a Kindle is not the cost of the device, but the cost of eBooks. They're no cheaper than a paperback copy, especially if you buy used, and you can't resell them when you're done. Furthermore, I can check out books for free from the library, but I cannot do the same on a Kindle.If eBooks ever become a lot cheaper, I'll gladly get a Kindle, almost regardless of the device's price. Until then, used book stores and public libraries will continue to be my source for reading material.[/citation]

Most of the ebooks that I buy are around 40-50% off of the regular paperback price. Sure some books are only ~10% off, but many are 70-80% off. I have yet to see an e-book that wasn't cheaper than the paper version. The only issue I have is that I'm just not satisfied with the performance/features of any of the e-readers / e-ink screens. Also, I'm not going to buy a kindle because I don't want to be tied to their store and their draconian practices.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRENDING THREADS