Admidst Bad News, Apple Breaks Sales Records

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Guide community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

dthx

Distinguished
Mar 31, 2010
[citation][nom]ikefu[/nom]I have an iPod Touch and love it. No one does music players better than apple when you figure in how easy it is to use with iTunes.[/citation]
I assume that was that sarcastic?
The iPod has one of the crappiest sound quality. It's equalizer is a broken feature since the very beginning and it has never been fixed: the equalizer increases the volume on some frequency ranges without first decreasing the general volume (pre-amp) before processing the sound, which results in very audible distortion, even when listening at low volumes with quality headphones. It is almost unimaginable that a product which has such a design flaw can reach the market.
Regarding the iTunes thing, no, sorry, this is by no mean easier for the average joe than dragging a few MP3's on a mass storage device or synchronizing with Windows Media Player.
Still, i bought an iPod classic just because all other serious actors who used to make quality mp3 players have left this market as it seems to have become impossible to sell mp3 players in volume if they don't have a big apple on their cover. I wanted something very simple: an mp3 player with a hard disk that can store approx 60Gb of music (my whole collection). Sadly, Apple turns out to be the only manufacturer left who builds hard disk based players !

Griffolion

Distinguished
May 28, 2009
Apple provide jobs to many people, contribute to the tech market and all these earnings will be taxed for the world economy's sake. Therefore it's good they are making a lot. While i may disagree with the way they do business, how much they charge for products I can get better for cheaper elsewhere and how they lock their things down, the fact they are a successful company is a good thing in today's world.

G

Apple products are not expensive, they are cheap. Example - iPhone have special glass with advanced camera and display. Competition sells plastic cheap phones for similar price. Quality and optimalization of every aspect of device is far more better from Apple. If Dell or similar manufacturer sold quality products, then the price is 2x or 3x higher, then is usual for Apple device.

ares1214

Distinguished
Dec 15, 2009
Yeah...Steve Job may not accept it, but the less people buy from apple, the better for the world. Steve's immune system recognized this! Hence the reason he is now sick :p

Yuka

Distinguished
May 3, 2007
I've had a Mac (work gave me one >_>), I've used Mac "servers" and workstations and they all suck. They're built for dumb people and self enclosure (0 interoperability). I really hate that.

Other than that, the build quality is superb; that's their holy grail. No one can argue that. Maybe Lenovo gets close on some of their products, but they're even more expensive than Apple's (notebook/netbook wise). Software wise, nah; I pass. HP's Envy line is very nice too, but haven't had one on my hands yet 8(

Gadgets... Uhm... Couldn't tell... All my friends who have iPhones, iPods take care of them like they're their own children, sometimes is disgusting, lol. I've always liked Nokia's build quality, but software wise, nah. My loyal mp3 player is a Sandisk Sansa 512Mb from like 6-7 years ago now? It has FM tuner, 5 band equalizer and can pump my 20-20k headphones; good enough for me XD

Anyway, gratz Apple on thah profitz.

Cheers!

Thor

Distinguished
Jan 5, 2004
So funny to see that.
I's just "The Sun before the Rain".
I predict that Apple will go down in 1 or 2 year. When they will have some kind of competition.
Apple do the same in the past and learn nothing.
For that we use PC and not Mac today.
For that Apple is a dead company or not a good one. Sure now all is wonderful,
Wait you will see.
Smile

HavoCnMe

Distinguished
Jun 3, 2009
I would like to add that the iPhone can't sync to multiple pc's/mac's. If you sync it with your home pc's music but want to add a song to your iPhone while at work you have to...let me get this right. TO ADD A SINGLE TRACK TO MY IPHONE I HAVE TO ERASE ALL THE OTHERS? What!? Apple couldn't come up with software that can sync between multiple pc's/mac's....great programming Apple. Let me know if you ever get a right click also.

G

What I don't read is that the iPods have again lost sales. A drop of 7 % means either the market is going somewhere else or that Music in general is losing steam. Last I heard many have complained about the new nano having some issues. I really look for Apple to drop a iPod model on the next refresh.

akula2

Distinguished
Jan 2, 2009
I'm so happy for the Apple, very satisfied customers of many products from that great company. My latest Mac Pro Workstations rock!!

Vladislaus

Distinguished
Jul 29, 2010
[citation][nom]HavoCnMe[/nom]I would like to add that the iPhone can't sync to multiple pc's/mac's. If you sync it with your home pc's music but want to add a song to your iPhone while at work you have to...let me get this right. TO ADD A SINGLE TRACK TO MY IPHONE I HAVE TO ERASE ALL THE OTHERS? What!? Apple couldn't come up with software that can sync between multiple pc's/mac's....great programming Apple. Let me know if you ever get a right click also.[/citation]
You can add a music to the iphone without the need to sync the device. You just have to drag the music you want to the ipod using itunes.

eddieroolz

Distinguished
Sep 6, 2008
iPod may play music easy and simple but to anything other than an iPod user the sound quality is absolutely horrendous.

Coming from a guy who actually compared the same song on a Cowon S9 and iPod touch.

Status
Not open for further replies.