Adobe Flash Exploit Gave Websites Access to Webcams

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Guide community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

bobusboy

Distinguished
Jul 3, 2009
[citation][nom]halcyon[/nom]Do Mac users still say that? People also used to say the Earth was flat.[/citation]

People still say the earth is flat....

http://theflatearthsociety.org/cms/

leon2006

Distinguished
Feb 12, 2006
Another reason to get rid of flash...

Adobe is too lazy to fix or address issues like this. If Adobe don't have the resources for such responsibilty the more that it should be taken out.

Get the browsers out that don't need flash

halcyon

Distinguished
Dec 4, 2004
[citation][nom]amk-aka-phantom[/nom]Halcyon, STOP defending Mac users. You don't realise you're an exception. Most of Mac users ARE ignorant illiterate arrogant stubborn zombies who refuse to understand the fact their favourite fruity company is brainwashing them to believe in their innovation instead of really innovating. Defending them - especially in the manner you do - makes you look like a fool, and from all your posts in our home thread I know you aren't, so I don't see why you have to do this.[/citation]

I guess I don't want to believe all/most Mac user are ignorant.

halcyon

Distinguished
Dec 4, 2004
[citation][nom]JOSHSKORN[/nom]Blah blah Macs are more secure than Windows, Macs don't get viruses and Macs don't freeze.Yeah if you believe all that, there is no hope for you, but you're probably too busy playing Angry Birds on your iPhone to even read this, much less understand how technology actually works.[/citation]
I can assure you Macs freeze...perhaps more if not as much as Windows. I'm so tired of seeing the spinning beachball of dread.

molo9000

Distinguished
Aug 14, 2010
[citation][nom]halcyon[/nom]I can assure you Macs freeze...perhaps more if not as much as Windows. I'm so tired of seeing the spinning beachball of dread.[/citation]

Spinning beach ball of death just means that an application is no longer responding. Just press cmd+alt+esc and force quit the offending application.

reggieray

Distinguished
Nov 4, 2010
He reportedly told Adobe about the gaping hole after it was first discovered, but once a few weeks passed by without any kind of response, he decided to bring the exploit out in the open to force Adobe's hand.
And then the FEDS said, "Damn it they found our spyware hole, now we need to have a new on made up."

Rusting In Peace

Distinguished
Jul 2, 2009
@leon2006

Users are significantly more at risk of HTML, Java and Javascript vulnerabilities than Flash ones. Can't speak for Macs but have a look at the latest Microsoft security report for stats.

Have you ever tried to develop a website or web app with pure CSS, HTML and Javascript? Do you know how difficult it is to get everything working correctly across all browsers? Dojo, a JS library, doesn't even get it right. In a year of developing our current web application I've fixed 2 cross browser issues in Flash. I've fixed 60 cross browser issues in the same amount of time using Dojo. IDE support? Sweet FA. Enjoy using Firebug, IE developer and Fiddler2.

Flash is far more preferable to work against because you don't have to work against these nonsense issues. It's one company setting the standard, not n with m different implementations of one bit of functionality.

You'd be a fool to seriously think that Adobe aren't fighting against the negative security PR they get.

Also I'm fairly sure I saw an article on here highlighting video play back with HTML5 vs Flash and Flash had lower power consumption.

And no I don't work for Adobe; I'm just a software developer. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.