Adobe Halting Development on Flash Player Mobile

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Guide community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Usersname

Distinguished
May 10, 2010
[citation][nom]croc[/nom]You DID look at the date of the article I linked, right? July, this year, right? And you did note that the W3C is asking world and dog for prior art to try to invalidate the patents, right? Sounds like Apple will REALLY abide by the W3C arbitrators, right?You poor dear... Apple will be only too happy to take your soul, for it seems that they already have your mind.[/citation]AT least I have a mind for APple to take...
The patents themselves are several years old. Chances are this sort of thing happens all the time as Apple/MS/Oracle et al sit on 1000's and 1,000's of patents and they will all have to be dealt with by internal administration which could take a few years but that does not mean Apple will end up enforcing the patent. You are making a assumption.

croc

Distinguished
Sep 14, 2005
[citation][nom]usersname[/nom]AT least I have a mind for APple to take...The patents themselves are several years old. Chances are this sort of thing happens all the time as Apple/MS/Oracle et al sit on 1000's and 1,000's of patents and they will all have to be dealt with by internal administration which could take a few years but that does not mean Apple will end up enforcing the patent. You are making a assumption.[/citation]

I make no assumptions here, I only report for those browsing this website via a link to another article that is germane to this article. Apple IS opposing the W3C over (at least) two patents (one of which is still pending) covering issues that were part of the standard before Apple submitted patent applications. Apple has been one of the major backers of HTML 5, calling for that standard to replace Flash as well as a few other closed source systems, such as real player's media player, for example. Now that the standard is well and truly close to meeting that goal, Apple refuses to the license conditions of the consortium body of the standard that it was so brazenly touting as the future of the web.

If I were to make assumptions, it would be over the 'WHY' aspects of these facts. So, I WILL make some assumptions. At least some WAG's...

1. Apple wants another patent cannon to hold up to anyone it doesn't like. Meaning, ABA.
2. Apple wants to avoid losing its grip on music distribution, which an open source MM distribution model would do.

I could go on with WAG's all night long, but that's enough for now.

BTW, the pending patent was filed in Jul 2007, the approved patent Jun, 2010... And both cover aspects of the HTML5 protocol stack that were approved at least as early as 2005. ASS U MEing that Apple will play nice? Not me...

askers

Distinguished
Nov 10, 2011
Looks like a Mac but it's a cool case.
thanks.
g.php

jerrspud

Distinguished
Aug 20, 2009
That's kind of a one sided article. Flash is not dead. It is just being wrapped in Air for mobile. "Our future work with Flash on mobile devices will be focused on enabling Flash developers to package native apps with Adobe AIR for all the major app stores."

G

http://www.uinerd.com/2011/11/adobe-tells-developers-to-drop-flash.html

"Our competitors told us that was in our best interest to release people from the prison of Flash," said Adobe Lead Marketing Dilettante Lawston Translation. "And HTML5 is so incredibly cool. Look at this neat bouncing ball demo! We figured, like, why hold people back?" Lawston took a long puff on his hand-rolled cigarette. Between coughs, he added, "Now Adobe developers are free to explore all the exciting new HTML5 products from other vendors. Wheeee!"

bv90andy

Distinguished
Apr 2, 2009
I like flash for the simple fact that the internet is full of it, and you can't really enjoy it without flash. If they keep updating security settings I don't mind. Hats off to them.

Status
Not open for further replies.