Adobe Launches 64-Bit Flash Player ''Preview''

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Guide community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

IzzyCraft

Distinguished
Nov 20, 2008
[citation][nom]wotan31[/nom]And neither do you, apparently. A software tester is a paid full-time position. Why are you going to perform this function for free, for a large for-profit corporation?? For an open-source project, yes, it makes sense to be a community volunteer. But for a large corporation? No thanks.[/citation]
So unless you can be not syntactical about working on a project you wont do it, just because it's from a large corporation doesn't mean they can't use your help or you gain benefit for helping them. Granted most of the data is most likely going to be user behavior mined during the beta like the last IE but that's just life in browser beta testing. - esp if your google
[citation][nom]wotan31[/nom]LOL you really don't understand 64 bit if you think more memory space is the only benefit.[/citation]
And what other benefit do you see it to a given web browser, or application such as flash that isn't trivial at best for the average person. 32 bit has been around for quite on the home front some time for a reason =p

palladin9479

Distinguished
Jul 26, 2008
The biggest reason to run 64-bit on NT is for the enhanced NT kernel. NT x86 kernel is still crippled with the same architecture and requirement to natively support older applications. The NT x64 kernel did away with all that legacy code and they rewrote it from the ground up. 32 bit apps run in an emulated environment through WoW64, all these 32 DLL's and code work through that environment. This is how they fixed all those legacy security holes without breaking backwards compatibility (one mans bug is another mans feature).

Applications that are NT x64 native don't need to be passed through WoW64 but must instead abide by all the rules of the 64 bit kernel, its significantly more secure then the legacy NT x86 world. This application should be faster but more importantly it shouldn't crash nearly as often nor cause the system to get sluggish or lock up inordinate amounts of CPU time.

vectorm12

Distinguished
Jan 30, 2009
[citation][nom]JOSHSKORN[/nom]It's about freakin' time. How long had Windows XP 64-bit with 64-bit browsers been out, now? Ugh![/citation]

Consider this, Adobe was actually quicker to market with 64bit flash than Apple with 64bit Quicktime Pro.

thebigt42

Distinguished
Sep 10, 2009
[citation][nom]icepick314[/nom]installed for FF 4 Beta 6...Youtube flash videos does not work....[/citation]
It does for Me! IE 8 Windows 7 64 Bit IE 64Bit Youtube Works

knowom

Distinguished
Jan 28, 2006
I can't believe it 64 bit flash for windows about time talk about dragging there heels should have happened a lot sooner and unlike Flash no one really cares about Quicktime.

knowom

Distinguished
Jan 28, 2006
Doesn't work with Mozilla/Minefield for some reason yet go figure they finally release 64bit flash, but of course it's for a bad browser.

Bolbi

Distinguished
Jul 11, 2009
[citation][nom]knowom[/nom]Doesn't work with Mozilla/Minefield for some reason yet go figure they finally release 64bit flash, but of course it's for a bad browser.[/citation]
It installed in my Minefield x64 just fine. There are two Flash x64 downloads: one for IE and one for all other browsers. If you only download the IE version, it won't work in Minefield.

G

This doesnt work. I tried using IE 9 beta with he new 64 bit square release and can't watch any Youtube videos. IE9 wil say that it has stopped working and then I am forced to close the program.

I tried playing Bejeweled Blitz on Facebook and the graphics rendering is so slow compared to previous Flash versions. Its so horrible I can't stand it.

knowom

Distinguished
Jan 28, 2006
[citation][nom]Bolbi[/nom]It installed in my Minefield x64 just fine. There are two Flash x64 downloads: one for IE and one for all other browsers. If you only download the IE version, it won't work in Minefield.[/citation]

I did install the one "for all other browsers" neither newgrounds flash nor youtube video's work using Minefield which builds of it are x64 and I got the recent nightly lasted build of that as well.

Like I said it doesn't work my guess is that Adobe only added support for it to work for Vista/7 and skipped XP64 given there slack record with flash.

catchercradle

Distinguished
May 27, 2009
Still not working on minefield4.0b7pre for me though it shows as being installed. Wordscraper on facebook and youtube videos don't work though square does work on firefox 3.6.x for me now. Before they pulled the previous 64bit plugin it worked on minefield for me but not on 3.6.x. I guess I just need to wait till either flash or mozilla sort themselves out.

Status
Not open for further replies.