Ads popping up everywhere on every single system I have! Mainly ad.fly

ramy_chaos

Distinguished
Oct 13, 2010
hey guys,

so im not sure this is the place i should be posting this thread but i hope it is. I've got a huge problem with ads. For some reason, almost every time i open a link or a website, i get rerouted to goddamn ad.fly ads or some stock exchange thing. I have it happening on my Galaxy Note 3, my iPad, Chrome on OSX, and I just opened up the OSX Steam client to find the damn ad.fly ads there too! I could not even believe my eyes when i saw that shit in Steam.
On the phone, it pops up in chrome and through the fb app. whenever i visit an external link, its pretty much guaranteed to happen. its become so bad that i can't even browse articles because I'm just being bombarded with ads. Does anyone know what this is? I figure if its a virus, then it wouldn't be on all these different systems, right? When i try the same links through 3G, i get a message from the mobile network that this link has been blocked as recommended by india's ministry of communications or some shit, and I'm in EGYPT! Please, any help would be so appreciated! :D Also, the only thing that these systems have in common is pretty much my google account.

ramy_chaos

Distinguished
Oct 13, 2010
Its not a question of google ads. As i said, theyve even been popping up in the steam client. It looks like adware but ive scanned both my netbook and my mac and only my mac had 1 file and its since been deleted. All scans show up negative

ramy_chaos

Distinguished
Oct 13, 2010
so ive figured out whats happening. something is setting my automatic primary dns to 164.132.7.56. this ip is what seems to be triggering the damn ads. the problem went away when i tried inserting a manual dns (google's 8.8.8.8 and 8.8.4.4). that solved the issue. it makes sense that the culprit would be off the hardware itself because it was happening across 3 different OS platforms (W, OS X, Android). I'm guessing this is what's known as DNS hijacking or some shit. now i just gotta figure out who's doing it