Advice for a cheap laptop

gigel gigi

Honorable
Oct 14, 2013
Hi there !
Do you have any ideas about a cheap laptop that can play the games fine
I know it is worthless to buy a laptop for games and doesn't compare with a PC but when i am not home or something like that i would like to play my games while im gone.
It is ok on lowest seting just to run and smooth.
Thanks for your time !

Solution
This is currently out of stock, but usually sells for around $590.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16834314240&nm_mc=AFC-C8Junction&cm_mmc=AFC-C8Junction-_-na-_-na-_-na&cm_sp=&AID=10446076&PID=5257136&SID=ShopAMD

The CPU isn't as good as the Intel i5 systems, but the graphics are pretty good. Better than mine. You will run games on high that I struggle to play on medium.
For example Bioshock Infinity should run in high settings. The system is well designed for gaming on a budget.

IInuyasha74

Honorable
Actually laptops can do pretty decent at games. So don't think its not possible. :)
I bought a laptop for $350 that games just as well as my brothers desktop.

Anyways, what kind of budget are you looking at? That way we have something to go on.

IInuyasha74

Honorable
This is currently out of stock, but usually sells for around $590.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16834314240&nm_mc=AFC-C8Junction&cm_mmc=AFC-C8Junction-_-na-_-na-_-na&cm_sp=&AID=10446076&PID=5257136&SID=ShopAMD

The CPU isn't as good as the Intel i5 systems, but the graphics are pretty good. Better than mine. You will run games on high that I struggle to play on medium.
For example Bioshock Infinity should run in high settings. The system is well designed for gaming on a budget.

Solution
Here are two options, both are Lenovo G505s laptops using AMD's APU.

A10-5750m w/ integrated Radeon HD 8650g = $530
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16834312829

A8-5550m w/ integrated Radeon HD 8550g + Dedicated Radeon HD 8570m = $500
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16834312830

The difference between the two is the more expensive one has a more power A10 APU with the best performing integrated graphics core. The less expensive version has the slightly less power A8 APU with a less powerful integrated graphics core (iGPU), but it does have a rather weak Radeon HD 8570m which can "dual graphics" with the iGPU to provide better performance than either one alone. However, I have not seen any benchmarks that shows if the combine Radeon HD 8550g + Radeon HD 8570m is more powerful than the Radeon HD 8650g in the A10 APU.

Dual graphics only works with DX11 games. That means any games using DX10, DX9 or older will simply not take advantage of the Radeon HD 8570. There are also complaints about micro stutter by some people when using dual graphics. So this is something you should research more before you buy. If I had to choose I would go with the A10-5750m version so that I do not have to worry about micro stutter issues. Also, whether or not I play DX9 games or DX11 games the Radeon HD 8650g will be fully used.

The A10-5750m version comes with Battlefield 4 for free.

The A8-5550m version only has 4GB of RAM (vs. 6GB for the other one). This means it only has one stick of RAM which will affect the performance of the laptop because it will only be operating in single channel mode. When 2 sticks of RAM is installed the RAM will operate in dual channel mode. Single channel probably means around a 15% performance penalty.

IInuyasha74

Honorable
The laptops suggested by jaguarskx are pretty good little systems. I still advise getting the ACER from Newegg I posted because it has the more powerful CPU and a much more powerful GPU. I've heard it can do crossfire also but its not sure if this has any improvement because the main GPU might be too powerful and get slowed down by the weaker one.

If not, then I would say that either of the above laptops would be good alternatives.

For the RAM issue he mentioned you should consider an upgrade a must. The good news is that for around $60 you can take either system up to 8GB and improve performance. Which still falls in your budget.

gigel gigi

Honorable
Oct 14, 2013
Thanks for advice , i have a A8 in my PC i know it is powerful, but any options are there because in my country is one single store who sell that Lenovo , how about a geforce grapichs card (i think at gt 740m with a i3, how sounds ?)

IInuyasha74

Honorable
Well the Geforce 740m graphics cards are a little tricky because they can have 64-bit or 128-bit connection to the RAM. The 64-bit ones are really held back by RAM.
However the 740M is a rather powerful card and if its a good i3 then it should make an excellent system.