Advice for buying a laptop for my mom

connorsuds807275

Estimable
Jun 27, 2014
Hello good people of Toms Hardware!

I am looking to buy a new computer for my mom and was wondering if you all could help me out.

She will primarily be using it for checking Facebook, surving the internet.

But also uploading and organizing pictures, making video slideshows...so a computer with good media capibilty would be great.

She will also use it for light processor systems, like word, powerpoint and excel.

and price between 300-700 would be ideal. And either a 13 inch or 15.6 inch.

Please help me out...Thanks guys!

cirdecus

Distinguished
Feb 14, 2008
For the average user i typically migrate toward HP or Dell business line laptops. They're reliable and offer good support, better than the consumer ones. Something like an HP 840 or a Dell Latitude 6440

samborambo56

Honorable
Nov 9, 2013

Well essentially any computer but for overkill and also being within your price range...http://www.amazon.co.uk/Lenovo-G500-15-6-inch-Laptop-Integrated/dp/B00H3AV8QU/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1403902564&sr=8-2&keywords=intel+core+i3+laptop

so thats £350 / $596 and will be easily capable of doing all those things you mention simultaneously no problem :)

Asus puts together good quality systems. I don't have a particular model in mind, but my recommendations as far as specifications go (regardless of manufacturer):

CPU: i3
RAM: 4 GB - 8 GB
Hard drive: 7200 RPM. Capacity is up to you/her, although 500 GB drives are cheap.

From there, it's up to you/her as to what looks and feels good. If she's going to be using the keyboard for quite a bit of typing, then it might be a good idea to take a few demo models for a spin at your local retailer. :)

She could go for an i5 CPU as well, although it's not necessary for her needs.